Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
Trollin for 29er insults, or are you serious. If your serious, most DHers would stick to 26, although current DHers with 29er XC/AM might give it a go. Also, current 29ers XC/AM who have an interest in more travel would also be interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
Matt 891 said:
29 inch wheels are a crutch for riders with sub-par skills

Ohhhhh, look at the rooty, rocky trail I just rode through because I have monster truck sized wheels!!
That's dumb. What's to stop me from using the same reasoning to say suspension is a crutch for the week? How about wide tires? Disc brakes? The whole point of racing DH is to do what it takes to go down a hill as fast as you can. If bigger wheels are beneficial, why shouldn't people use them?

That said, I am far from sold on 29ers, even for XC use. Would I love to take a spin on a on the 951 29er? Yes. Would I buy one? I'd need to ride one to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
That's dumb. What's to stop me from using the same reasoning to say suspension is a crutch for the week? How about wide tires? Disc brakes? The whole point of racing DH is to do what it takes to go down a hill as fast as you can. If bigger wheels are beneficial, why shouldn't people use them?

That said, I am far from sold on 29ers, even for XC use. Would I love to take a spin on a on the 951 29er? Yes. Would I buy one? I'd need to ride one to know.
Suspension is a crutch - along with everything else you said.

If you want to hone skills I recommend riding a minimalist hardtail rig as fast as possible. Then when you jump on the dh bike you will be choosing better lines, properly pump terrain and carry more speed.

I stand by my statement about 29 inch wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Matt 891 said:
Suspension is a crutch - along with everything else you said.

If you want to hone skills I recommend riding a minimalist hardtail rig as fast as possible. Then when you jump on the dh bike you will be choosing better lines, properly pump terrain and carry more speed.

I stand by my statement about 29 inch wheels.
Wow, you are retarded. Lines for a hardtail aren't always lines for a full suspension bike. Quite the contrary a lot of times. It may be the gnarly line, IE the one too gnarly for a hardtail, that is faster.

Although riding a hardtail can be very beneficial.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
iridemtb said:
Lines for a hardtail aren't always lines for a full suspension bike. Quite the contrary a lot of times. It may be the gnarly line, IE the one too gnarly for a hardtail, that is faster.
WEAK rebuttal

Riding gnarly lines on your hardtail will make you faster on your fully.

you might be slower on your hardtail compared to your DH bike but thats the point of my arguement. (as silly as you may think it is, none-the-less)
 

·
All 26.5" all the time!
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
What's to stop me from using the same reasoning to say suspension is a crutch for the week? How about wide tires? Disc brakes?
All those things were proven on motocross motorcycles long before the MTB adopted them. Where are the big wheels for MX bikes?

The people who design, engineer and race the fastest two wheeled off road vehicles on earth discovered long ago that the forces generated by big heavy wheels severely limit control at speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
Zanetti said:
All those things were proven on motocross motorcycles long before the MTB adopted them. Where are the big wheels for MX bikes?

The people who design, engineer and race the fastest two wheeled off road vehicles on earth discovered long ago that the forces generated by big heavy wheels severely limit control at speed.
Did you read the second half of my post? I was in no way claiming that 29 inch wheels were an improvement over 26s. My point was simply that bagging on 29ers for potentially being advantageous is moronic.
 

·
All 26.5" all the time!
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
Did you read the second half of my post? I was in no way claiming that 29 inch wheels were an improvement over 26s. My point was simply that bagging on 29ers for potentially being advantageous is moronic.
I did, and I know where you're coming from. My comments were not actually directed at you, but more as food for thought for those that may be confused by the "29ers are better for everything and everyone" type of marketing that is being shamefully thrown at us from every direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,436 Posts
Matt 891 said:
Suspension is a crutch - along with everything else you said.

If you want to hone skills I recommend riding a minimalist hardtail rig as fast as possible. Then when you jump on the dh bike you will be choosing better lines, properly pump terrain and carry more speed.

I stand by my statement about 29 inch wheels.
Personally, I think those that spout you need a hardtail to become any sort of a skilled rider are full of themselves. I don't think you need to attend the school of hard knocks to ride , enjoy or excel @ mountain biking.
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top