Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currency ride a 26er for ss but I own a 29er as a race bike. Do you guys prefer a 26er for ss? I am thinking about building a 29er ss but I think a 26 accelerates much better.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
You want the truth? It does not really matter. A well fitting bike in either wheelsize will ride just fine. They will have different traits from each other, you might prefer one over the other, but you cannot go wrong with either choice. Ride what you have and have fun!

·
The need for singlespeed
973 Posts
Staying away from the typical arguments, I'll say the following: when I'm fatigued, I tend to get sloppy with my lines, but still have power to recover the lost momentum. So the faster acceleration of the 26" platform suits me. I think, in part, it comes down to whether you've got better skills picking lines or putting down power.

EDIT: Then again, on a 29er I guess I'd lose less momentum when blowing lines. But those big wheels look ridiculous, so phuket.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
The 26er vs. 29er wheel thing is WAY overrated. The difference is there but honestly, those who can ride bikes can do it on either and don't make a big deal of it. If I had a 26" and wanted to try SS, I would just convert it. If I was buying a new bike, well 29 SS is the obvious choice as this is almost all of the new SS are 29ers.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
You can be a fence-sitter and just go 650b. Or 69er. Or walk.
Coming from a fence sitter prospective, :rolleyes: I would go with a 29er. While the other bikes I own are 26", the 650b is a little smother when the singletrack gets sketchy, so I'm thinking a 29er would increase the effect. OTOH, I have never rode a 29er so I may be talking out of umarth's anus (now to associate this post with the <a href="http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=712522"> Rep power</a> post).

edit: Now that's cool!

·
Come see me after class
1,431 Posts
i like how a 29er can steamroll a trail, but it also turns like a steamroller. don't get too caught up in wheel size. just ride.

·
Come see me after class
1,431 Posts
are you talking to me? really?

edit: oh i get it, you're one of those guys that swears by 29ers and gets offended when people say they're no better than a 26er... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm gonna put together a 96er. 29 in the back and 26 in the front on a rigid not shock front fork. That way I'll get the slower acceleration of the 29" wheel and the lesser ability to roll over things with the 26" wheel. Maybe I should do it on a bouncy frame so I can have an oft coveted "hard front".

·
Registered
586 Posts
are you talking to me? really?

edit: oh i get it, you're one of those guys that swears by 29ers and gets offended when people say they're no better than a 26er... :rolleyes:
my comment was directed at the topic of the thread.

by the way my ss is one of the super rad new 1X1's designed around a 100mm fork. I will eventually post some pic's when I get around to it. I could also care less if a bike has 26 or 29 as long as it rides well.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
My anus prefers 26" ass sleds. Once it has spoken, the word is final.
There's a saying in the CB2 household "My butt is my butt and it goes where it goes".

The littlest CB2 moved up to 24" wheels yesterday. It's like he's riding a 36er. His dad forgot his camera.

Back on topic:
The difference you are feeling between your current SS and race bike could have as much to do with other factors as wheel size.
Last time I was looking at ebay there were some kickass 26" frames available. If you're going new, you might have to go custom if you want to go 26" in this day and age.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have been riding a 29er for the past 6 years and recently built up a 26" bike. They both have there pros and cons. Just get out there ans ride.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've done both, and I love both. So my answer would be to get both. If you can only do one, however, I'd get the 29er, just because it seems so uniquely well-suited to singlespeeding, where momentum figures so large in the equation. You lose some flickability and super-tight manueverability, but that just gives you some skills to work on.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts