Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i own both, I've been ridding back to back and this is my comparison, I've been riding cheaper bikes trying to find what style i like most before i spend some coin on something serious, so far what i like about the 26 HT is how better it is at climbing and honestly how much it made me finding better lines downhill, although i feel like it makes me really tired but i spend more time on the pedals.. the 29 FS it was sketchy at first but after riding the 26 i feel much faster down the trails but, I've been walking uphill more often and longer wind breaks..

so i was thinking of doing a switch something down the road 29HT and 26FS, is it worth the try? what are u guys opinions?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
It really depends on your style... And the bike of course. Cheap bikes aren't a good way to tell I don't think because they don't react like a quality bike would. I would choose a high quality 26ht over a cheap 29fs, or whatever is better.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm going through the same dilemma right now. I ride a 26HT currently, but looking at an FS and they're all 29ers these days. Idk if a 29er is for me since I like to climb. I hope to see some more replies to this thread.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Sounds like your FS 29er's just not that good a bike. Mine's better at everything. :D Does yours have a weird drivetrain?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah its not that great :( ... i was about to to sell both and get something nice but I think ama wait.. I've been riding about 2hrs everyday forest loops for exercise purposes, I'm only like a month in into this so until I become a decent rider then ill upgrade, ill be disappointed to have a $2000 bike and only use it for beer runs..

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
First off about your comparison....

Comparing_Apples_to_OrangesjsxDetail.png

Now that is out of the way...

Nothing is going to pedal worse and suck the life out of you than a crappy full suspension bike no matter what the wheel size is. So quit riding crappy bikes to try and figure out what kind of bike you want. It is kind of like driving Kia to figure out if you want buy a Porsche.

Also you don't have to buy a $2k bike to have a great time. Lots of great bikes under the $2k mark. However, you are going to have more fun on non-crappy bike.
You are probably also more likely to ride more if you have something invested in it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My advice would be to test ride bikes at your local bike shop (not from Wal-Mart). Then decide which type of bike you prefer.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, not really wall mart bikes, i got i specialized p1 am 26, and a gravity 29er fs from BD , i changed the fork and rear shock to a dmm 170mm and a manitou marvel 120mm.. but I've had the feeling to go with a FS 26'' and a HT 29.. the p1 rides amazing but would want to try a 29er HT since its better at rolling over roots/ rocks, but the 29er i got its high and faster DH but i don't feel that much comfortable sliding/ turning (because i feel way taller) so i thought i would benefit.. thoughts? thanks any experience?

·
Registered
423 Posts
If I would keep two bikes (HT and FS), and get them in two wheel sizes, I would get the bigger wheel for the HT and the smaller wheel for the FS.

In other words, I'm with you on the HT 29" and FS with the 26".

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
One of the things I notice about my pair is that if I'm in control on a trail, I'm smoother and faster on my FS. If I'm putting my foot down all over the place and having a hard time, the hardtail is easier to manage. It gives me a little more sympathy for the idea of learning on a hardtail.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks, i kinda feel they complement each other, thats why i couldn't pull the trigger on selling both to just get one.. my goal is to be comfortable with my trails (that why i try to ride every day) then decide... i really like 29ers, so smooth & comfortable rides, just sucky at climbing.. but the 26 its fun to ride, makes me feel like a bad ass; plus i get sore everything after a ride

cheers!

·
Administrator
10,625 Posts
well, not really wall mart bikes, i got i specialized p1 am 26, and a gravity 29er fs from BD , i changed the fork and rear shock to a dmm 170mm and a manitou marvel 120mm.. but I've had the feeling to go with a FS 26'' and a HT 29.. the p1 rides amazing but would want to try a 29er HT since its better at rolling over roots/ rocks, but the 29er i got its high and faster DH but i don't feel that much comfortable sliding/ turning (because i feel way taller) so i thought i would benefit.. thoughts? thanks any experience?
it sounds like a bike fit from a reputable shop might be helpful. 29ers rarely feel like you are sitting up on top, in fact most people that switch from a 26 to 29 feel like they are sitting in the 29er and then when they return to the 26er they feel like they are sitting on top of it.

Still the HT and FS comparo could be messing things up as well. Finally as others have mentioned the parts build on the FS might be worse than the HT due to economies of scale and company specs with the Bikes Direct frame receiving heavy wheels, especially when compared to the lighter HT 26er wheels just due to size. Frankly the 29er should out climb the 26er almost everywhere except smooth forest roads.

So this is what makes me think you might be on an ill fitting set of bikes as well. You should check your local bike shops and see if any are offering demo days at local trails. Often you can go out, do a lap on a 26, or 27.5 then do a lap on a comparable 29er. That's probably the best metric you can use!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im in love with the 29er now, even though its a cheaper bike ,i didn't imagine shocks where that important, i upgraded them to air shocks (but didn't set the sag) it was still meh.. i was kinda disappointed but now after taking some time and properly tuning its soooo nice, its def the way to go

(sorry for bringing this back)

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Yeah, improperly tuned suspension is worse than no suspension at all. Glad you got it sorted out.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
26 vs 29 has to do with fit and riding style.

FS vs HT has to do with riding style and trail types.

both can be searched the forums with tons of discussion.

if your'e going cheap, i'd go hardtail. Cheap FS make a ton of compromises to reach that price point, and they are super heavy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts