Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
I added a 29 hardtail with an itty bitty fork on it this spring. Since then, i've been leaving the fs at home more and more and more.

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
The hard tail will be harder on your tail

Sure, the bigger wheels and lower tire pressures you can run make the 29er HT a smoother ride than an 26er HT, but it's still a hardtail. I was toying with the idea of an FS 29er until I bought a Thudbuster and it works so well that the FS thing no longer draws me...much.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Two different bikes. Room for both?

A 29"er fully is in my future, but until then, I split my time between my 26" dually and my 29"er.

I'm a fan of the Thudbuster and have the Short Travel version on my Buzz Bomb. But big wheels and a springy post do not a full suspension make.

My 29"er is the more capable technical bike, and I feel much more comfortable on it picking my way through slower, techincal stuff. But there's nothing quite like 5" of cushion underfoot for bombing down the rough stuff.

Viva la two bike minimum!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Ditto the Thudbuster. I have the newest long travel (3") on my otherwise rigid KM, and I wonder if I'll ever be able to do without it again. It took som egetting used to, but it's that good. Gives the bike personality, and if my senses don't fool me, speed. I get off the bike totally fresh after an extremely tough race like today.
The first time I threw a leg over a Fisher hardtail, mine, built from a used frameset, I did feel like I was riding a huge, lightweight, DH bike. Just bomber, nothing less. 26" bikes are like BMX's to me now.

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
I switched from a 26" hardtail to a 26" FS for comfort reasons. Ride longer, less fatigue on the legs, etc. I bought a KM to set up as a single speed, not to switch to a 29er, but just a ride somtimes single speed. Soon I found myself on the Monkey 7 out of 10 rides. The ease at which the 29er travels through the rocky stuff and over roots soon I didn't fell like fighting everything with small wheels anymore.

So it's a hardtail SS 29er full time, I can still ride just as long as on the 26" FS, but I can tell my legs are taking alot of the shock. Just as what happened when I rode a 26" hardtail, now I need comfort. So I sell off all 26" stuff and go full bore 29er. Now I have a 29" SS and a 29" FS. Life don't get better than this. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
18,785 Posts
rgoolsby said:
Any regrets on switching from 26" dualie to 29" hardtail? Just need to feedback from those who made the switch.
Blur ---> Rig, no regrets (other than maybe I shoulda gotten the Dos Niner right away instead).

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
rgoolsby said:
Any regrets on switching from 26" dualie to 29" hardtail? Just need to feedback from those who made the switch.
Ventana Salty to Airborne B-29. No regrets. I started with a standard post and bought a Thudbuster within a week. The benefits of the B-29 outweighed any issues of not having the fs.

·
Registered
18,785 Posts
toddre said:
with Nat... the Dos Niner is perhaps the best bike I've ridden
I raced it yesterday. Man, what a great race bike! It's so agile and nimble. I like the steep (compared to the Rig) head angle. It made switchbacks a breeze.

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
10 years down the drain

i rode FS almost exclusively for over 10years (when mtb-ing). lately i've been pushing the "big wheels need less suspension" idea. like no suspension at all. full suspension to full rigid happened at the end of 2003 for me. no regrets but it has alot to do with my local terrain and my past experience with bikes.

·
Old School
75 Posts
I went from a Fuel 98 to a GF Xcal

rgoolsby said:
and rediscovered my love of riding. A) i don't like FS bikes and B) i'm 6'4" and C) there's alot of sand on my trails and the float is awesome

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.