Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Fox Factory Series 32 Float 100 RLC that is on a 2011 Giant Anthem X dual suspension bike my 14 year old started riding last summer. After one particular ride, the I noticed the fork failed to return to the to its' unsprung 100 mm travel.

I let my LBS do a rebuild on it, and afterwards the fork worked for one ride before exhibiting the same prob as described. The local bike shop stated that the "internals have gone bad" and that Fox no longer supports the 26" platform.

I got on Pushs' website and it doesn't look like they do any rebuilds for 26" forks anymore.

The AnthemX is a great bike for my 14 year old and I'd like to see him ride it for the upcoming season before buying a new mountain bike for him next year.

So, I was wondering if there is anyone (individuals or companies) who rebuild 26" forks anymore?

And, btw, the shock on the frame is an OEM Fox RP2 that I'd send in for work as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's probably just a worn out air-seal that your LBS didn't replace because they don't know where to get one.
A 22x3mm metric o-ring fits and works.
I wonder what internals "wear out" on a fork that they simply cannot be rebuilt?

I forgot to mention that a bit of the Kashima coating is worn on one of the stancions and the LBS is putting partial blame on that. Honestly, if you run your fingers over the worn part you cannot discern any rough spot or "divot" or gouge. I can't see how this would keep the fork from holding air???

I certainly appreciate your reply and pass on what you've told me to the LBS.
Thanx again!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just not holding air? Try the 22x3 o-ring first. Just undo the nut on the lower air piston side and you can use a small diameter rod of some type (preferable plastic or wood so it doesn't scratch) and you can push the air piston up and out of the leg. You will need "float fluid" to put on top of the air piston side and some fork fluid for the lower. Pretty simple job. Hardest part is getting the air piston back through the hole at the bottom of the fork. Sometimes it can take some finagling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts