Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having acquired a much nicer mountain bike, I am looking to turn my 2010 Hardrock Sport into a utility bike. The cheap suspension fork has to go. The Surly 1x1 used to be the go-to fork, but it appears to be no longer offered in 26" with cantilever brake mounts. What is the preferred fork for this job today? I am not looking to upgrade to disc brakes, as that upgrade would require new wheels.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
My go to fork is/was the Salsa cromoto, I have 3 currently but the older will go with a bike I'm getting ready to sell. I would not go longer than 425mm a-c length for 80mm sus corrected fork, that is the length I used to replace my old 80mm Marzocchi fork. The Dimension fork may be a little short at 395 as it would be a non sus corrected fork imo, but is a good affordable choice. The Surly Troll non sus corrected fork at 420mm a-c might be a reasonable choice, but maybe the offset is less than you want? Origin8 has a chromo fork with v brake and disc mounts.

I've seen this one on the 'bay if you like chrome, but it could be a lil short.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Steel...744457&hash=item521ac310cb:g:mygAAOSwyulbxqet

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,130 Posts
More versatile, but also more expensive are the offerings from Crust, or more expensive is the Endpoint Hunter Gatherer fork. At that point you might as well go custom, though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like this fork: https://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&c=92&p=201

I am trying to avoid spending a lot of money on a rigid fork a 2010 Hardrock Sport. The Hardrock was originally purchased as a recreational bike to ride with children when they were in middle school. I am just looking for a reduction in weight. The SR Suntour XCT V2 fork on that bike has to weigh around 6lbs, and I have always had it locked out because I am a middle linebacker-size guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.