Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

picture from speedgoat.com

Firstly; i know it says things about not having clearance for 29er tyres (perhaps i should be posting over there), but has anyone had any experience with this widget from Mavic? Could it be modified to clear a cyclocross tyre? Is there a similar/better product for this use?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I have them, just unbranded, some 6 years old, polished finish. 250g front+rear.

A 30mm will pass underneath, maybe 35mm. I participated and finished the 2000 Dutch Elite CX Champs on a VooDoo Bokor with those adapters, 500mm staright bars, V-brakes and Michelin Mud tires on my road wheels. I had to stop in the pitlane to hose off my own bike at least 3 tires, it just ground to a halt numerous times. Clog-up city back there!
Got my best prizemoney ever (till today) that day, first cross I finished. For some reason 2 guys behind me in the standings, perhaps they were so slow even spare bikes didn't help them).
I was lapped twice by Groenendaal, obviously. My club sponsor (a local LBS owner, former roadie, don't know him personally) totally freaked out seeing someone at the Nationals in "his" outfit. More or less summoned me to visit his shop through a club board member. I didn't go, but the club did gave me a free pair of winter pants shortly after. Those were the days...

Yes I've been thinking about the mod job to crank up the clearance. Either chop mine up and weld in (bolt on) an extension, or indeed start from scratch. But if you can do that kind of work, you can also move a set of canti mounts... And how many frames really do allow for 29" tires to fit? The 1x1, and....?

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
spuddy said:

picture from speedgoat.com

Firstly; i know it says things about not having clearance for 29er tyres (perhaps i should be posting over there), but has anyone had any experience with this widget from Mavic? Could it be modified to clear a cyclocross tyre? Is there a similar/better product for this use?
I used them for a while this year. I filed them out (wish I had a dremel - it took AGES) until they fit the Mutano 700x44, and had no issues whatsoever. Another friend used one as-is with the Mutano 44, and it cleared by about 1mm. Slightly higher canti studs on his frame, I guess. BTW, a company called GRUNGE makes some that look to have a lot more clearance, I saw them here recently. They might be a better idea, I wish I'd seen them first.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want this is for an older Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua'a with perfect paint and dont want the hassle, y'know? I'm planning on running it fixed 29er/700c'er and wouldnt mind the option of a rear brake. I've made some enquiries about an oversized adapter with some local 'shops' and i'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
451 Posts
TheSingleGuy said:
BTW, a company called GRUNGE makes some that look to have a lot more clearance, I saw them here recently. They might be a better idea, I wish I'd seen them first.
I've done some searches for this GRUNGE brake adapter and have found nothing. Any more info or links on this?

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
It's wider alright, but seem to have much more vertical clearance, judging from the pics. Looks at the 29'd 1x1 frames, you'll see how high a 29" tire rises over 26"-positioned canti studs. Hope I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
TheSingleGuy said:
Ugh, 4200 Yen is roughly $36 USD! I suspect that price is per item.

So if one were to fabricate their own, you would need the aluminum (thickness?), drill and thread tap, screw-in brake bosses, a band saw with blade for aluminum and what else?

I have one set of brake bosses, drill, and may have access to a band saw. So I would have to buy the correct size tap, aluminum plate and another set of screw-in bosses. I'm not sure what the cost would be, but it would have to be a fraction of the $25/adapter that Mavic wants.

·
Registered
346 Posts
gudday spud!

Three is a kid that comes past the shop (SHM) who has these on a GTzum with road forks.

Have checked it out, A 35mm is cool but want go past that. Can tell you the Group Sportif has the in stock and they are somewhere btwn $40 & $50 AUS, a set, they call the Speedcity adaptors.

Yhe Idea is the it allowed the brake surface on the speedcity to be used in a 26 inch frame, (or so I've been told)........

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Zang, even if the adapters are custom made, do you have a bike worthy of the trouble? I am aware for the 1x1 and maybe Iro Mia that could use such adapters, what is it you have?
I'm still sitting on a pre-Mavic set of the identical adapters. Used to be 50 guilder, ca $25. I have had offers, but something tells me I should hold on to them. Haha, maybe when someone comes up with 31" road wheels already :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Zang, even if the adapters are custom made, do you have a bike worthy of the trouble? I am aware for the 1x1 and maybe Iro Mia that could use such adapters, what is it you have?
The bike is a circa 1990 Schwinn High Plains mtn. frame that I have massaged over the years and is now a cyclocross-esque singlespeed commuter running 700c wheels. My initial braking solution was a pair of old Tektro cantis that had brake arms long enough to reach the brake surface on the 700c rim from the 26" brake boss. The problem is obviously the pivot point and the amount of leverage I can generate. Braking is poor at best, non-existant if anything gets wet. I've played and played with the adjustment but I have given in. I have time to play with my bike stuff, just not an hour every other day.

Is the bike worth another $50 of widget add-ons.......probably not but I do want to cyclocommute while I have the opportunity and keeping my skull from impacting a car or other such object is definitely worth the time and/or money. If I can make them myself, I may try but I'll buy the Mavics before I go to some custom CNC shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.