Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came from the dealer who showed me a 2013 Trek Superfly Comp for a good price. He has no concerns about a 6'4" 250lb guy riding a Carbon Hardtail. The trails in my area area can be full of roots and rocks, but I am not jumping off things. Any concerns?

Since I know someone is going to ask, "Why a hardtail, given the conditions I described"... Given my limited price range, I would rather spend the $$ on components. Also, concerned about the linkage of a lower-end FS, given my weight and price limit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have used a mix of carbon and aluminum bike parts for years and I've broken more aluminum parts than carbon. I think you should be fine. I could be wrong, but I believe Trek does a lifetime warranty on their frames.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I bought a specialized 2014 carbon comp, and in the weight limit is listed at 275 lbs.

You can find Specialized weights if you google this file name

"0000037057_r1.pdf specialized"

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,245 Posts
I'd be more concerned with the wheelset than the frame, the Mustangs are not a good clyde rim. The frame will be fine, just trade those wheels out for something stronger.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
I personally would do a steel hardtail ANY DAY over a carbon.

I crash and am rough on bikes, and wouldn't want to worry about banging it off a rock.

If it were my money, I would buy a bad ass steel frame and dump a bunch of money into wheels, a fork, and a strong crankset.

·
Registered
207 Posts
To my knowledge, there are a few manufacturers that actually give you recommended rider weight max's. Being 6'2 245#, I have talked to several manufacturers that I have contacts with. And I was told that I would be towards the upper limits of what the bikes were intended for. However, that doesn't mean the frame will fail, or that I couldn't ride carbon. I was also told that if there ever was an issue, it would be replaced. I've seen plenty of frames fail and the riders were less than 200#. It just depends on the terrain and the situation.

Santa Cruz openly advertises there are no weight limits on their carbon frames.

I can say that so far, the only company that publicly

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,245 Posts
Just curious... if carbon is supposed to be stronger, why is the max weight LESS for the carbon model of the same bike?
Carbon has a higher strength to weight ratio, but using carbon as a material doesn't just inherently make a bike stronger and lighter. How it is built and how much material is the main factor just as it is with any other material. You could make a carbon frame that would have a 500# weight limit if you wanted, but the manufacturer decided to put a (conservative) 275# limit based on the amount of material and the design of the frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.