Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and his wife are in the market for new full suspension bikes. They are currently on old, 26" Santa Cruz Superlights that are wore out and they don't want to put more money into them.

So, they are in their mid 50's and don't want/need anything aggressive as they don't like steep and technical and ride more of the easy to moderate trails here in WNC (i.e Dupont, Bent Creek, occasional Pisgah stuff).

Something with 100-120mm rear travel is plenty for them (XC/trail). Something like the Marin Rift Zone 2 would be a pretty good fit for them I think for a good value under $2500.

What would you recommend to your friend with a $2500 bike budget (dropper post and 11 speed a plus)?

Since they each are getting a new bike the total is $5000 so please no "save a little more and get this" recommendations please.

I know $2500 isn't much but they are pretty adamant on this price point

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Something with 100-120mm rear travel is plenty for them (XC/trail). Something like the Marin Rift Zone 2 would be a pretty good fit for them I think for a good value under $2500.
VitalMTB's review last week confirms this. They loved it, even preferring riding it over some $5k bikes (for suitable non-extreme trails of course!)

NSMB's Andrew Major also rides a budget Marin.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
The best company for those on a budget is Giant.

I think they are the only company that is really focused on the $2000-$3000 bike market. Everyone else tries to make their high-end bikes cheaper, which is hard to do. Giant on the other hand puts together a bike that is actually designed from the ground up to be that price.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The best company for those on a budget is Giant.

I think they are the only company that is really focused on the $2000-$3000 bike market. Everyone else tries to make their high-end bikes cheaper, which is hard to do. Giant on the other hand puts together a bike that is actually designed from the ground up to be that price.
agreed. you should be able to get a trance 2, 29r for dang near $2500. They are 2900 but most giant dealers can give you a bit or room, especially if you are buying two bikes. The Liv Intrigue is the sweet spot for women's bikes. Giant bikes also work just fine for women, but the liv products are well thought out and imo, have better color ways then giant regardless of gender.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Those Marin Rift Zones are a great deal for sure but I think they like the idea of working with a local shop so I turned them on to a Giant dealer here in town to check out the Trance, Stance, and some Liv models for her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Look at the Giant Fathom 29er isn't FS but wow! I purchased as my first bike and it is an amazing bike! Great for some fun DH and exceptional XC bike. I'd say it is ideal for an older crowd.

·
Registered
467 Posts
With Shimano SLX hitting the OEM market soon there are going to be some great value bikes.

Here's an example: https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/mountain/occam/cat/occam-h30

It's much more travel that you were looking for, but I'm willing to bet that they will have their shorter travel bike in a similar price point offering!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.