Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be gentle this is my first post. I have been reading a ton and really like the sounds of the tallboy but I can't justify throwing down 5k:eek: I am 6'4" but with a 32" inseam( all torso)...Right now I am 230 but hope to make it down to 200. One bike that sounds interesting is the Salsa Spearfish. I ride daily on a cross country trail for 1.5 hours...there are tons of big 5" stones. I want something comfortable that is going to be enjoyable and not beat the heck out of my back. So what 29ers should I be considering?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
I am personally debating between the Trek (Fisher) Hi-Fi Deluxe and the Giant Anthem X2. I am 90% leaning towards the Giant, but I'm significantly smaller than you (5'11", 170) and the Hi-Fi looks burlier... Both right around 2-2.5k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,223 Posts
I can attest that the HiFi frame is nice and stiff, a very solid frame. I just got another one (bigger frame). I'm lighter than I was but was up around 210 at one time.

I haven't ridden one, but looking at the rear end of the Spearfish I wouldn't be too hopeful on its stiffness. The overall design of it does not lend itself to lateral stiffness, at least on similar designs. Could be wrong though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,701 Posts
rumblefish! (i sound like a broken record lol) i'm 6'3" and 210. this bike is PERFECT! ride one (i have the rumblefish one but the base is still well spec'd and can be found in your price range)

i ride pretty hard and don't really take care to be "gentle" and haven't even found the bottom of the rear shock yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Look at Surly (www.surlybikes.com) karate monkey 29er. Frame w/ rigid fork from $650. It's a stiff but smooth steel frame with a gusset at headset for strength. Can be ridden as a SS or geared and is disc and v-brakeable. I've been on a 26" wheel surly 1x1 for two seasons and love the ride. Just ordered my Karate Monkey last week. I'm 6ft 255lbs and never had concerns on my 1x1 riding northshore Vancouver trails on a regular basis.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the detailed replies....I will check out some of the reviews and see what questions I have. I should mention I am working outside of the U.S. right now in dry dusty conditions most of the year...something reliable is a must. I liked the Cannondale Flash especially with the REI dividend but keeping the left in reliable working order sounds like it may be tough with no local dealer support. Also will be purchasing from the Internet if it matters.

The tallboy should still be a consideration in a cheaper build or one of the new models from Santa Cruz that is supposed to come out in April.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After further research I have found 4 options...if it was you and price was not a factor which way would you go? I ride on desert, rocky trails, as well as 40% pavement. I tip the scales at 230, and I am tall 6'4" but with a 32" inseam.

TallBoy( low end build) This sounds like "the" bike

Salsa Spearfish

Giant Anthem

Niner's 2010 R.I.P. 9 frame with a 2011 parts package (at speedgoat)
 
G

·
I think I'd go Anthem or RIP. I'd shy away from the carbon TallBoy due to your weight and rocky trails. The Spearfish is a single pivot design that places stress on the stays...again, at your weight that's probably not the best idea on rocky trails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
have

I have a brand new 23" Gary FIsher Trek Superfly Elite Hardtail Frame that I would sell cheap. You would have to build it up but then again at your weight you could put a sturdy build kit on it. The frame itself is light but overbuilt for carbon.

SR.****** said:
Be gentle this is my first post. I have been reading a ton and really like the sounds of the tallboy but I can't justify throwing down 5k:eek: I am 6'4" but with a 32" inseam( all torso)...Right now I am 230 but hope to make it down to 200. One bike that sounds interesting is the Salsa Spearfish. I ride daily on a cross country trail for 1.5 hours...there are tons of big 5" stones. I want something comfortable that is going to be enjoyable and not beat the heck out of my back. So what 29ers should I be considering?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,066 Posts
If money was no object, I'd go Pivot Mach 429. It's a bit above your stated budget, though. Look them up, too, and maybe you could get lucky and find a leftover at a clearance price.

From the list you presented, though, I'd say the RIP 9.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
I have a Salsa Big Mama frame in the Classified it's a large and I was thinking that it might be to big for a 32 inseam but then I have a 35 3/4 inseam. so yeah a 23" frame might not work becuse his handlerbars will be higher than his seat.

****** try to go test some bikes if you can becuse most people 6'4" have a 36"+ inseam
if you buy on line you might not like your bike and people that don't like thier bike fit don't ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
idinomac said:
I have a Salsa Big Mama frame in the Classified it's a large and I was thinking that it might be to big for a 32 inseam but then I have a 35 3/4 inseam. so yeah a 23" frame might not work becuse his handlerbars will be higher than his seat.

****** try to go test some bikes if you can becuse most people 6'4" have a 36"+ inseam
if you buy on line you might not like your bike and people that don't like thier bike fit don't ride.
I'm one of those guys that has to buy his shirts in "tall" sizes. Any how the Niner size large is exactly in my ballpark.....•Large = 5'11"-6'3"/ 1.8-1.91m I was all pumped to buy the tallboy....glad I asked:thumbsup:

This bike is going to get shipped so is speedgoat my best choice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,066 Posts
That RIP is $3400. There is a closeout 429 for $3800.

With your dimensions, I'd suggest you find any bike your considering and at least get a parking lot ride on it to test the fit. This is a lot of money you're taking about laying out, so you want to make sure you get it right!

(Note: you'd need a US address to ship the 429, but it looks like the RIP can be shipped south of the border)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
skiahh said:
That RIP is $3400. There is a closeout 429 for $3800.

With your dimensions, I'd suggest you find any bike your considering and at least get a parking lot ride on it to test the fit. This is a lot of money you're taking about laying out, so you want to make sure you get it right!

(Note: you'd need a US address to ship the 429, but it looks like the RIP can be shipped south of the border)
The 429 is interesting.... I wish testing could be an option but the next time I will have the opportunity is November. I do have a U.S. shipping address so that issue is taken care of. Going to take a chance after listening to the wisdom here, and some more reading.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
******, good choice on the rip! I am considerably heavier than you and have only bottomed it a few times. Additionally, the cockpit on a large felt a bit smaller to me than did some other bikes on your list... Then again, I do have gorilla length arms!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,066 Posts
SR.****** said:
The 429 is interesting.... I wish testing could be an option but the next time I will have the opportunity is November. I do have a U.S. shipping address so that issue is taken care of. Going to take a chance after listening to the wisdom here, and some more reading.:cool:
They're both great bikes. The 429 was a "Best of MTBR" for 2010 and the RIP numbers aren't that far off.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/pivot-cycles/mach-429/PRD_425161_1548crx.aspx
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/niner-bikes/r-i-p-9/PRD_413465_1548crx.aspx

Obviously I'm biased since I went with the 429 - I think the frame is a bit tougher - but you can't go wrong with either of those bikes!!

One indicator I use is how many are for sale. Right now on ebay, there's 5 RIPs and 1 429. On the classifieds here 1 of each. Certainly not scientific, but no one is dumping either of these bikes after owning them!

Just Google "429 vs RIP" and youi'll get more reading material than you need!
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top