Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I was standing on the corner of Market and California streets in downtown San Fransisco.

Heard a loud rumbling, rattling, crazy sound traveling towards us. I turned around - what the

BAM!

With a few friends. Luckily, we were not standing right next to any buildings. 'Cause we saw people
getting hit with falling debris. We raced back to the parking garage where we found it still standing.
Getting out of the city was interesting. Smoke everywhere.
No electricity, so none of the stop lights were working. All the intersections were jammed with cars - impossible to move.
So I decided to drive down the sidewalk.
Just as we were driving onto the on ramp for the Bay Bridge, to get back to Moraga, we heard on the news that
the bridge had broke.
Pulled a U turn on the on ramp and headed for the Golden Gate. It was open.
None of the other bridges were open, so we had to drive through Sonoma County and down to Berkeley.
Drove right past the smashed freeway - pretty freaky.
We didn't get to Moraga until close to midnight ( I think it hit around 5:something PM).

I haven't been back to SF since.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I got off work (Alameda Navy Base) an hour early thanks to the Giants vs. A's World Series Game. Drove through the Cypress Expressway at about 4. Drove over the Bay Bridge and down through the Marina District to see if there where any waves to surf at Fort Point under the Golden Gate Bridge. No waves, so I went to downtown SF to pick up my girlfriend from her job. Sitting at a stop light on Golden Gate Ave and Larkin Street when it hit. I had never been through any earthquake before that and I didn't realize what was going on at first. I thought someone was standing on the bumper of my van, rocking it up and down. I realized it was an earthquake when a street light almost came through the windshield of my van, it didn't break and fall, it was flexing that much.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was 10, watching the WS (Go Giants!!) at my friends house when the house started shaking. initially we just sat there assuming it would be over quickly, we watched the water in his pool make a tidal wave and splash out all over the backyard. the shaking didn't stop so we thought we better get in a doorway like we learned in school, but then thought better of it and ran downstairs and out the front door. well, I had a broken ankle so I hopped downstairs... seeing the wreckage of the Cypress structure and the bay bridge collapse, we were lucky all we had were some broken dishes and whatnot...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I was at work in San Rafael. We were actually standing outside talking to a customer, and I felt "unsteady". Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the streetlights start moving, and then shortly therafter started whipping back and forth.

I thought "Hmmm. This may be an earthquake"

After a few more seconds, the ground was rolling and it was hard to stand up. One person followed their training and ran INTO the building to stand in a doorway. I said "F that, I'm going to stand in the middle of the parking lot."

We decided "This must be bad", so we closed the shop and got onto the quickly congesting freeways to get home.

I got home, and turned on the news, and was very sobered.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was at Candlestick awaiting the start of the World Series between the Giants and the A's. I was in the right field upper deck next to the foul pole. That place really moved,thankfully the expansion joints worked and the stadium kept all safe. It was weird looking at the foul pole for reference and seeing how much that place moved back and forth. We didn't realize how bad it was till we heard the reports on the radio and tried to navigate traffic and get home to the South Bay.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,257 Posts
We're in Santa Rosa. We had our neighbors over to watch the WS (Go Giants!). Our friend's toddler was sitting on the floor right in front of a big Armoire that we own. The armoire started rocking and hitting the wall. I jumped up and pinned it against the wall until the quake was over. I'm not sure it would have fallen, but didn't want to find out.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,128 Posts
We were kicking back in our apartment on the ground floor off of Franklin, a few blocks south of Lombard. We went under the door way until it stopped. Then, we took the car and went around the city to see what happened. We were without electricity or gas for a few days. I remember that right after the earthquake, it was really warm in San Francisco, and we were hanging out outside.

Also remember that it took us hours to call back home overseas as the phone circuits were completely jammed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was 10 and at soccer practice about 20 miles east of Sacramento. I, as well as everyone on my team felt it, but at the time we didn't know what "it" was.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
If youd like to pay homage to those that lost there lives on I-880 there is a moment of silence ceremony this afternoon @ 5:04 this afternoon located @ 13th and Mandela Prkw in west oakland.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Was in rural Gilroy surrounded by acres of freshly plowed farmland (at home)...saw the ground literally wave like a liquid as the earthquake waves propagated...will never forget this for as long as I live...some real geologic magic right there

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
I was 10 and at soccer practice about 20 miles east of Sacramento. I, as well as everyone on my team felt it, but at the time we didn't know what "it" was.
I was in 8th grade and at soccer practice as well up in the Sierra foothills outside of Placerville...it sounded like a plane had broken the sound barrier, but lasted a lot longer.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I was driving on Upper Market when the car started to wobble like it had been hit. All the shop windows were flexing and the reflections were pulsing. we drove home without traffic lights and it was totally mellow. We got a call to our kin in Victoria immediately to tell them we were okay. Phones after that were dicey.

We lived on Russian Hill and BBQ'ed on the roof of the 8th floor roof, built on rock and designed by the guy who did San Quentin. We watched the fire of the Marina School and drank beers. The smoke went straight up. You could see Lombard was bumper-to-bumper with folks heading out of the City.

The Ice Cream store on Union and Hyde gave away its stuff before it all melted. Locals walked the neighborhood to try and absorb and validate. Context was illusive but all of a sudden we were neighbors. Very cool. We were, after all, Californians.

G

·
I was asleep in my apartment in Washington...I was watching the World Series...tried to call family back home in Ukiah...phones were jammed. I didn't realize the seriousness of the situation until the next day.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
On our way to the Giants A's World Series game running late just got off 280 heading over to 101 on 380 I thought the drive line on my girlfriends Trans Am had a bad u joint going out.
I was doing about 80 mph so I slowed down once we got on 101 a lot of people were pulled over looking at their tires and their cars.
We didn't even know what happened we were listening to KNBR but it went off air I thought the car had an electrical short.
We got to Candle Stick parked went in and everyone started telling us what happened we stayed about 30 minutes then left.
Took us 5 and a half hours to get home to Santa Clara all of our brick fencing was on the ground all our fish tanks were half empty our hot tub was cracked and draining most of our dishes and glasses were broken on the kitchen floor.
What a nightmare hope we never have to have that happen again. :nono:

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,584 Posts
At work in a cinderblock building in downtown Mountain View. Power knocked out for blocks. Somehow I had this crazy idea to drive to Foothill College for my 6:00PM class. Traffic suddenly came to a standstill on 280 near Magdalena… people were driving AROUND something, couldn’t tell until I got right up onto it– a foot and a half tall ripple across ALL lanes in the northbound direction, so everyone was driving around it on the shoulder. Got to Foothill College, power was out, realised there must not have been any classes that evening. Of course, no radio in my car (1958 VW Beetle) so I had no idea how much serious sh¡t went down when the quake hit.

·
Registered
393 Posts
that day was my 1st in CA, my GF and I packed up everything we had and headed to Santa Rosa from PA, as we were walking out of a small diner in Santa Rosa waiting for a credit check so we would have a place to live, i noticed my car rocking back and forth, then we felt it, 1st day 1st quake, it wasn't until later when we got back to the KOA in Petaluma did we see reports and realize the severity of what happened. we now had a great story about our start in Ca, and had a wonderful 11 year run there, still miss CA, maybe i'll get back some day

1 - 20 of 26 Posts