Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not familiar with how big or small sales and discounts are for bikes that cost around $2,500.

Would 25% off be a great deal? Or is this the norm and perhaps if I waited until the 2015 models came out the discount would be even greater?

I live in California so with tax it really would be about 15% off sticker.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
If it is a model from last year it would be a good deal .if it is older not so much. The thing with waiting ,it could get sold. I got 15% off a current year bike a couple of years ago.

·
Diggity Dog
469 Posts
That is because the the prices are way over inflated. $2249 for a HT with an RockShox XC30 fork on it, LMAO!
True! In the US we supposedly have laws regarding what is a "retail" price. Appears that in NZ there are no such restrictions. For instance in the US if a manufacturers site lists an MSRP price a dealer can often sell it for maybe 10% less and make a 35% margin. In other words the wholesale dealer price on a bike is about 65% of the selling price. That is considered a "margin" that is livable for most shops considering the overhead to build and service new bikes. If a shop is discounting a new current model bike at 25% you need to know what price the 25% is off of. Basically if a shop is making razor thin margins on bikes they won't be in business very long.

·
Flappity flappity flap
2,590 Posts
Kinda depends on brand too--very 'available' brands like the Bikesdirect stuff will be listed as seriously discounted, but they like to say these bikes are 'comparable' to bikes that they are not IMHO...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
ignore retail price and buy on components. Fox equipped, SLX, black flrag expert hardtails have cleared for $1200ish on those marins. I can't find anywhere else that'll beat that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts