Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
funny thing is the french were racing dirt on fixed gears way back around the turn of the (19th - 20th) century... I think they called it the Tour de France! Gary Fisher invented his own image and thats about it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
GO BEARS!

Ha- I had to post this. Everytime I go anywhere wearing anything with the CAL logo on it I have it said to me at least once- no kidding. I wouldn't be able to call myself a Golden Bear if I didn't follow tradition, right? :p

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
True, true...

velocipus said:
funny thing is the french were racing dirt on fixed gears way back around the turn of the (19th - 20th) century...
Everything old is new again.

Take a look at patent design drawings from around the turn of that century as well. Every single suspension design we've been riding for the last 10 years had already been put down on paper back then.

As for Gary Fisher... Right place & right time.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
benja55 said:
Everything old is new again.

Take a look at patent design drawings from around the turn of that century as well. Every single suspension design we've been riding for the last 10 years had already been put down on paper back then.

As for Gary Fisher... Right place & right time.
Gary Fishers ego is predicated on semantics. He invented the "mountainbike" inasmuch as that was the name of his company. He didn't invent the klunker.

benja55 said:
Wouldn't go that far... VPP, Horst Link, "sweet spot", etc...

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
alisacherie said:
GO BEARS!

Ha- I had to post this. Everytime I go anywhere wearing anything with the CAL logo on it I have it said to me at least once- no kidding. I wouldn't be able to call myself a Golden Bear if I didn't follow tradition, right? :p
So you're from Chicago???

Sorry... pro football reference meant to annoy Cal-Berkeley alumnus

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
imridingmybike said:
Gary Fishers ego is predicated on semantics. He invented the "mountainbike" inasmuch as that was the name of his company. He didn't invent the klunker.
Weeelll, by "right place, right time" I simply meant that he had the good sense to take an idea and run with it. IE: market the shite out of it. I'm not implying that he did or did not "invent" anything. I trust we've all read our MTB history books. ;)

imridingmybike said:
Wouldn't go that far... VPP, Horst Link, "sweet spot", etc...
You'd be surprized. No joke. I once dismissively said the same thing when sitting around with Mike Augspurger (as we were talking about the frame he was about to start for me! :p ) and he promptly whipped out a patent reference book, circa 1900 and began pointing out all the FS designs from back then, many of which we are still riding on in one form or another.

The primary differences were in the scale of the springs being used and the fact that they didn't have the luxury of picking from 1000x of different alloys in Al, Ti, Steel etc. To make a long story short, folks had come up with many of the mechanical concepts for today's FS bikes; they just had no way of building them into something ridable.

I'll see if I can dig up some of those old drawings or hit Mike with an email and see if he has any handy... Pretty cool stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.