Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but I've been looking at new stem/bar combos and notice that most seem to be moving to 31.8mm. When I look at the brake levers for my juicy 5's it seems clear that they're made for 25.4 mm bars. Some levers that use a single screw/clamp would probably work just fine. But the juicy 5's use a two piece/two screw design with a specific diameter.

So..... will has anyone tried this, and will it work? I'm not set on 31.8mm, it just seems the newer/lighter stems are only that size. (Easton ea70, ea90, etc..)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
big_slacker said:
Ah, so 31.8 are just for added strength/rigidity nearer the stem clamp? Never held one in my hands. Thanks!
yes i believe people use them because they are stiffer and stronger @ the stem clamp area where it makes contact with the bike

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
When I went from Titec 25.4 bars cut to 25 inches to Deity 31.8 bars at full length, they transferred a lot more vibration into my hands and arms. I ended up getting a 25.4 Deity bar instead.

The grip area is the same. Though on some bars, the taper may not allow you to move your controls as inboard as you may like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.