Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused::confused:hmm Hello mtbr, hope this is the correct place for this thread...don't crucify me please....
but i was wondering if there are 25.4 flatbars out there longer than 600mm? everything i've seen are 590, 580 etc..
I've seen plenty of low rise >600 but no flats.
I'm prob not familiar if and why they do not exist, so please educate me. If they do, I can keep continue my search.

Thanks fellas, for your time...
JC :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I think it is a quirk of bike component history that you can't find a wider 25.4 flat bar. For awhile, flat bars were mainly for XC bikes (or fixies) and were generally narrow. Then 29ers came along and there was a new market for flat bars, but most 29ers were XC oriented at first so flat bars stayed relatively narrow. At the same time, the 31,8mm standard started taking over. Then the current trend of wide bar/short stem started happening. Now a lot of companies have dropped the 25.4 standard altogether. For instance, the Salsa Pro Moto 2 is 710mm in width but they dropped the 25.4mm version and now only make a 31.8mm.

So if you want a wider flat bar, you might also need to invest in a new 31.8mm stem too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. i was just curious. I just finish my build on a FS GT and had swapped all the components from my previous bike. Med to S frame. Feel so much better on the handle on the smaller frame. so the after the swap i was stuck with the 25's. but had a 25.4 70mm stem. feels nice for control on shorter stem.
So After the first ride, the handle felt a tad narrow and position was a tad too upright. So then decided with a 70mm stem I should get a flat bar and wider. But like huge cow, no luck. but thanks for the info, it would make sense that too wide and thin in diameter wouldn't be too stable. Then again, I'm in the first stages of playing around with different bars and stem lengths as well. so far i tried 100, 110 and 70.. 70 seems good on both climb and decent.

So back to pink bike it is…now for 31.8 and flats 318. Oh how BTW how much difference..in feel…from the minimal low rise compared to flat bars if you guys have experienced?

thanks again for your input. totally appreciate the info's

Reactions: rndmrdr

·
Registered
72 Posts
Salsa used to make a "Moto Ace" bar in 660mm width with something like 7, 11 and 17 degree backsweeps, but these have been discountinued. On-One still makes a "Fleegle" bar in 660 and 717mm widths with 15 degree backsweep, and they're only $30 shipped from Planet X USA. The Fleegle is difficult to impossible to get through a stem without a removable faceplate because of the curves, so consider yourself warned.

FWIW, I currently run both: the Salsa on my 29er SS and the Fleegle on a mountain/touring bike and have never noticed any issues with flex. I think that narrow bars were just the "in" thing when 25.4 bars were the only thing out there. Perhaps we'll be asking why no one makes a bar narrower than 700 mm in a few years...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that narrow bars were just the "in" thing when 25.4 bars were the only thing out there. Perhaps we'll be asking why no one makes a bar narrower than 700 mm in a few years...
+1 for removable face plates...

:cryin: Perhaps..haha ..the Fleegle's looking pretty tempting, how does the 15* sweep feel?
Man i feel like flinestones era shopping for the 25's wide flat. I'd always thought that when the "in" thing would be the "out" thing would only happen if there r flaws + safety ie instability, etc etc therefore no longer used....but FWIW - i can't complain, it was worth the hunt..I mean it does make sense as the market progress as well as riders too- taking it to the next level..there's thing that are fads and not..who knows...Now Easton's coming out with 35mm bar and stem combo....Holy smokes ..what's older than the Flinstones..Me...:confused:

@Gumbi-Syntace does make a 25.4 carbon 660 but for a whopping $179.. hahhaha one day Syntace ...one day..!!!

I wonder after the 35mm, what's gonna come next.....:cool:
Thanks for your input guys....

·
Registered
72 Posts
..the Fleegle's looking pretty tempting, how does the 15* sweep feel?
The 15 degree sweep feels good to me, but that's no guarantee that you'll like it.

No need to worry about the "out" technology: my Fleegle bar is connected by a quill stem to a 1" steerer with a threaded headset, on a 26" wheeled bike with v-brakes and an 8-speed drivetrain. The whole bike is outdated by today's standards, but it still works fine. There will always be something new on the horizon based on performance, rider preference, etc., etc.

All that being said, you've got a lot more selection in stems and bars if you switch to 31.8 mm...

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I use a 25.4 660mm low rise bar. I moved from a 585 mm flat bar and to compensate I flipped the stem. By doing this and playing with step spacers I got the bar height as I did with a flat bar. Not standard, but it works.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a 25.4 660mm low rise bar. I moved from a 585 mm flat bar and to compensate I flipped the stem. By doing this and playing with step spacers I got the bar height as I did with a flat bar. Not standard, but it works.
this was what i was thinking of doing set up as well. to flip my stem -6 get low rise ... but what do you mean by Not standard?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
didn't realize the shift clamps...

I'm gonna get crucified for this BUT I would like to know, Since my current set up are 25's, if I get 31.8 flats or low rise, would I have to change the clamps for the shifters 22.2 :madman:, or must get "new" shifters :madmax:. Or does the 31 bars taper down to the same size ?

thank you. JC

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
this was what i was thinking of doing set up as well. to flip my stem -6 get low rise ... but what do you mean by Not standard?
Normally you wound not flip a stem and then go with riser bars. Most of the time you would go with flat bars first rather than inverting the stem. Still there is nothing wrong with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
My 245-gram Cannondale Fire 25.4 alloy flat bar is a full 620mm uncut, with a slight, 5-degree sweep. Cannondale ended production of these, in late 2007, but they occasionally pop-up on fleabay dirt-cheap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.