Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
one less car
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there any benefit to one over the other? been wanting to go 27 but my lbs seen intent on talking me outta it. also been thinkin about going with a 11-34 instead of the 11-32 i have now.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Long term maintainability is better with 27 because the major manufacturers have been moving away from 24 for some time. This means that it is usually only the basic (heavy) 8speed cassettes that are still available.

The consequence of 9 speed rear is that your cables need to be in very good condition for reliable operation. SRAM chains also have a thread to themselves for perceived unreliability on this forum.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
There's marginal benefit to converting a bike from 8s to 9s (24-27) so I generally don't suggest spending the dough. If on the other hand your lever set were to die and your cassette was fairly well used, that would be the time to make the switch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just do what I am planning on, ride with your 8 speed stuff and when things start breaking/wearing out then upgrade to 9 speed. I don't see any real reason to upgrade from parts that function well unless a killer deal comes along.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
yeah ride out the 8 speed

There's still a small faction that are hoarding old 8 speed (24 speed) XTR stuff out there, refusing to convert to 9 speed (27 speed). I might be one.... :D

Unless the cogs/shifters are worn, as mentioned, I'd save your money. Or if you want a bigger low gear. The only bike I've gone to 9 speed on is my 40 lb FR bike. I just needed the extra few teeth (12 - 34) to make up for my lack of endurance, I mean , the bike's weight...

I tried 9 speed when it first came out but was underwhelmed by the shifting. I still feel the 8 speed stuff is less finiky and shifts a bit better. But that's mostly in sloppy, muddy weather.

REEK

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
If you really want to downgrade - sure you can go to 9 speed.

But if you need cassettes - http://www.bikeman.com/Shimano_SRAM_8_Cassettes.html
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=1895&subcategory_ID=5130

And that's within 2 mins of searching.

Even if I want an 11-32 it's possible. The ONLY problem I find is when I've got a hub with an alloy freehub and need a cassette witha carrier. That means I need to find XT or XTR cassettes. Otherwise the SRAM stuff does just fine, weighs about the same, and cost about 1/2 of what the shimano stuff does.

I'm gonna build a new bike soon, and I'm still willing to do 8 speed. It'll be my 4th one.

JmZ

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
You know you're cruising up that gentle incline and you just wish you could shift up to 7.5th gear, but you can't, because there is no 7.5 gear? Well, I just twist my shifter and there it is, bam, 7.5, all thanks to my slick 9 speed drivetrain.
Sucker.

:p

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Interestng...

BikeLazer said:
good, keep it that way. i was just advising that shimano is superior since alot of suggestions in this thread say otherwise.
Sounds like the old, Sram - Shimano, Ford - Chevy, Butter - Parkay... argument.

Well, atleast we FINALLY have an answer to the Sram - Shimano argument. One less thing to worry about. :D

Merry Christmas every one or happy holidays if Christmas does not apply.

REEK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.