Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of spinnergy wheels , Iam replacing the front wheel with a P35 wheel. I really don't know what to expect since i have never used a wide rims before. Can i get some feedback on your going from narrow rims to wide please.

Thanks,

B-Ray

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
B-RAY said:
I have a set of spinnergy wheels , Iam replacing the front wheel with a P35 wheel. I really don't know what to expect since i have never used a wide rims before. Can i get some feedback on your going from narrow rims to wide please.

Thanks,

B-Ray[/QUOTE

The profile of the tire will change. On wider rear wheels I was able to drop the pressure slightly because I wasn't pinch flatting as much. I am not sure you will notice a big difference unless you riding agressively - wider wheel will support a tire better.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
B-RAY said:

Thanks,

B-Ray
I found I could run the same medium volume tire at lower pressure without getting sidewall squirm, but that was also low enough that I started getting pinch flats when I did not flat on the narrow rim.

The handling changed slightly, but there was little change in "cush." had to use lower pressure on the wider rim to get the same feel.

Wider/high volume tires tend to work better on the wide rims.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you two for taking the time to help me out. I just got my dissent tire and put it on the spinergy aired it up to 40 psi to let it grow some over night.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
B-RAY said:
Thank you two for taking the time to help me out. I just got my dissent tire and put it on the spinergy aired it up to 40 psi to let it grow some over night.
Dissents are great on 35mm rims.

·
turtles make me hot
11,604 Posts
I just put Salsa Gordos on my bike in place of some narrow DT Swiss rim. Now the Bontrager FR3's look freakin' huge and the bike feels awesome. Only thing is I will probably go to a slightly narrower rear tire since I only have about 1/8" clearance on my seatstays now.
I love it when I make a mod and the bike better suits my clydeness.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahha i feel u I wanted a bigger footprint for the front of my rigid fork and some cush. What size tire are u thinking about using for the rear now that u have a larger rim and iam thinkin of getting a p35 for the rear also. I like using larger rear tires, but with wider rim I have to look at tire size more carefully.

·
Administrator
11,695 Posts
I went from 28 to 35 and from rampages to dissents. It was like night and day as far as compliance, traction and cush goes, although I think a lot can be attributed to the dissents. I haven't had the chance or need to try out the rampages on the wider rims to see if I noticed a difference.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey rockcrusher i read that the dissents rolls good for being a heavy tire, are u running tubless or tubes. From the looks of the tire knobs they look like they just eats up whatever is in there way. I got a niner carbon fork that iam mating it with, so big tires wide rim, and a carbon fork, but the Kodiak has caught my eye big time.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Run Dissents F/R on my RIP9 mounted on Halo Freedoms (28mm wide), clyde so I can't run much below 30# before I feel the squirm especially on the rear under load on rocky sideslope. Roll considerably better than 2.5 Nevegals on my 26 mounted on MTX33s(will switch over on that bike next tire change) , release mud way better also(Nevs don't really release), seemingly about the same traction otherwise, just a great all around tire. Wish the 29er MTX33s were out when I got the wheels built, that little bit of extra width really helps.

·
Administrator
11,695 Posts
some picts

B-RAY said:
Hey rockcrusher i read that the dissents rolls good for being a heavy tire, are u running tubless or tubes. From the looks of the tire knobs they look like they just eats up whatever is in there way. I got a niner carbon fork that iam mating it with, so big tires wide rim, and a carbon fork, but the Kodiak has caught my eye big time.
I included some pictures of the tire on my bike, they have a nice flat tread but they are also all tread. I suspect in mud they would be horrible but in the dry rocky desert they kick butt. I run them really soft, soft enough to pinch without much effort. They just clear my frame on the 35mm Sun MTX rims.

I get into the 200lbs range with gear on my bike FWIW

Attachments

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny i was here responding to the tread and the door bell rang baam My rim. I just finshed mounting it up and that tire is huge i have it aired up at 40psi for the night. My mounting that thing was interesting used 1 plastic lever and alot of elbow grease. Man RockCrusher u are single speeding that big tire ur an animal.

·
turtles make me hot
11,604 Posts
B-RAY said:
Hahha i feel u I wanted a bigger footprint for the front of my rigid fork and some cush. What size tire are u thinking about using for the rear now that u have a larger rim and iam thinkin of getting a p35 for the rear also. I like using larger rear tires, but with wider rim I have to look at tire size more carefully.
Not sure yet. Going to the shop tomorrow and checking out what's available. Maybe a 2.25 Ardent.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking about that Ardent also in 2.25 with that rim size could be like a 2.3 easy. If u get please shoot some pics please.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
B-RAY said:
Funny i was here responding to the tread and the door bell rang baam My rim. I just finshed mounting it up and that tire is huge i have it aired up at 40psi for the night. My mounting that thing was interesting used 1 plastic lever and alot of elbow grease. Man RockCrusher u are single speeding that big tire ur an animal.
Should not have to use any tools to mount the tire. The P35 has s pretty deep center drop.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
B-RAY said:
I was thinking about that Ardent also in 2.25 with that rim size could be like a 2.3 easy. If u get please shoot some pics please.
2.25-ish tires will not gain much width on the 35mm compared to the higher volume models.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
rockcrusher said:
I included some pictures of the tire on my bike, they have a nice flat tread but they are also all tread. I suspect in mud they would be horrible but in the dry rocky desert they kick butt. I run them really soft, soft enough to pinch without much effort. They just clear my frame on the 35mm Sun MTX rims.

I get into the 200lbs range with gear on my bike FWIW
I found the Dissents performed very well in clay/mud at least compared to a Nevegal, pic below post ride in which I let a friend borrow my IH 7point3 with 2.5 Nevs which were still completely loaded up when I got back wish I took a pic of both, here's the Dissent pretty much shedded most of the clay, he got stuck a couple of times.

·
Administrator
11,695 Posts
B-RAY said:
thanks BTW.

I check the pressure I run with my new Lezyne classic pump I finally got and it seems i run them around 19-22psi. Did a good 3hr ride this morning with the typical rocks and gnar of AZ trails and I had a few burps but never felt the rim impact and had no other problems other than they are heavy...but man on the DH sections it is like having 2" of suspension, which when you have zero is a lot of suspension.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats what iam talking about there I want the cush, the front of my bike is very stout now that i put that tire on. So u are running tubless?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts