Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice here, I mean some solid advice. I am doing my first solo 24hr race at the end of May. I ride a Surly Karate Monkey singlespeed and I have an Instigator geared bike. My question is this. I am definatly going to ride the 29'er but my question is should I gear the bike up for race, or since it is a 24hr race should I just leave it singlespeed and walk the climbs when I am getting tired etc. Just curious on what you guys would do. I am definatly leaning to ride the KM w/ my H-bars just for the comfort and I can ride long hrs. on it etc. Just need some solid advice thanks, Jus

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
for anything over 12 hours, I run gears, always 1x8. I never used the granny or the big ring, so why have them? Depending on the course for 6-12 hours, I might run them, or just leave it SS'd. Anything under 6 and its SS. If you're thinking about it, there's already doubt in your mind, and I'd slip on something. Maybe 4 speed? When you think about it, you really don't NEED more than that. I've been thinking about just this kind of set up meself. Something like 15-17-20-23 w/a 32 ring. Should keep you covered on that range for many trail types.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have done

4 or 5 24hour solo races SS only, and feel personally, if you don't ride the 26" wheeled bike for long distances taking it will only take up room. I have also done a lot of marathons of 75-100 miles and feel that the SS makes me ride faster (mostly), or walk, depending on how steep the trail is or how tired I have become. For me, it boils down to what bike do I ride everyday, since I gave away my last set of shifters about three years ago it is SS, so that is what I race. My friend also did his first 24 solo last year with the same dilemma, and rode his SS, because that is his main ride. He felt at the end of the race that had he ridden the geared bike after starting on the SS he would have let himself down. One last thing, having raced both gears and SS at the same race, in different years, I have found I feel less sore, tired and all around beat up on the SS. Could be the SS fit better, but I think it has to do with the fact that I had to walk a little sometimes and that gave my body the break it needed to push on. Good luck, and have fun, I envy you because finding 24hour races in Germany is like finding a needle in a haystack. Enjoy the race Ed, the guy who always finishes mid pack or worse.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think that since I ride SS all the time, I would have more fun on the SS so maybe that is what I should just ride. You know the ol' saying "suck it up" haha. but I know from doing 24hr team races I saw a lot of the solo riders at times walking a bit, and they still finished awesome. From what they have told me the whole key is to not stop! walking or not. I just didn't know if the gears would do me any good or not for this type of race etc. Thanks, Jus

·
Registered
410 Posts
When I'm tired on a steep climb I like to choose between walking and spinning a tiny gear. Different muscles, mental switch up, etc...Like another poster said, if you're not sure, make the safe choice. I'm sure you'll have a good time either way though.

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
I would make that decision based on the course. If the hills are steep enough that you are going to be walking every lap, then I would go gearie or drop a few teeth on the SS. If you're going solo - remember that what feels ok at 2 hours may be breaking your knees at 22 hours. Gears give you the flexibility to adapt (weather, terrain, how you feel). Flexibility can be a very good thing. Also, gears don't necessarily mean 27-speeds. A lot of the folks on this board run a 1x9 - flexibility and simplicity.

Start slow and taper.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have ridden the course a ton of times and I can clear it all on my singlespeed, but I see what everyone is saying about walking after ahwile etc. I am going to take the geared bike and just put my H-Bars on it ! Thanks a lot for the insight and advice! Thanks, Jus

·
Registered
142 Posts
bikeanddrum said:
I have ridden the course a ton of times and I can clear it all on my singlespeed, but I see what everyone is saying about walking after ahwile etc. I am going to take the geared bike and just put my H-Bars on it ! Thanks a lot for the insight and advice! Thanks, Jus
"Jus" - I will personally be there to bow down and and anoint you the hardest man in our little club if your ride your Monkey SS for 24 hours at Dark Mountain. I know you know what you're getting into cause we've ridden the damn thing together, but good god man, the trail's name has the word "mountain" in it for pete's sake. You're looking at almost 1000 feet of climbing every lap and the laps ain't that long.

You're sicker than I give you credit for. I like that in a guy.

BTW, After we're all done with the anointing, I'll drive you over to the hospital for that double knee operation you must be looking forward to.

As always, "You DA Man!"

RL

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
I just finished the 24 hours of Sydney ( 11 hours ago, to tired to sleep) I rode the monkey SS rigid. I brought the 26 fs gearie as back up and lucky I did as my mate broke his fork before the race started and he rode it.

I walked alot of climbs by the end but it was still worth it. I knew I was not going to win so the challenge was to finish on the SS and I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.