Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive done one 24 hr race on a corp team and a 12 hour race on a 3 man team. This year me and some others want to push the inside of the envelope out and do a 5 person 24 hour team (100-150 or 150-200 catagory) at laguna seca next month.
Some questions..

1) is there a need to double up on laps at some point in order for everyone to rest?

2) Can you get away withOUT doubling up on laps?

3) Will i need a extra light battery?

4) How much should i reserve myself over the course of 24 hrs.

5) Is there a method to actually sleeping over the course of the race?

Thanks everyone..

·
Registered
103 Posts
jrm said:
Ive done one 24 hr race on a corp team and a 12 hour race on a 3 man team. This year me and some others want to push the inside of the envelope out and do a 5 person 24 hour team (100-150 or 150-200 catagory) at laguna seca next month.
Some questions..

1) is there a need to double up on laps at some point in order for everyone to rest?

Thanks everyone..
I done several 24 hr events in many sized teams from 10 man /5man and duo.In the five man races there is no need to double up on laps ,you will have planty of time between laps to eat ,rest and rehydrate.Doubling up is not usually to effecient in that sizze of a team.You want to go out and give it your best for an hour and then rest etc for your next lap.

Battery...have a light system that will give you enough juice for approx 3 to 4hrs of night riding as you will have one night lap for sure and possibly the dusk or dawn lap which will reauire some light too.

Sleep ..in the five man you can catch an hour or so sleep any more and you hace a tough time getting going again.You can sleep when its all over.

Food ,hydration is key make sure you eat enough and drink plenty as dehydration effects lots.

Reseving yourself.. you should in in reasonbly good shape to do this .just pace yourself and don,t blow it all on your first lap...and have fun

James.

·
Only dead people are old
699 Posts
jrm said:
Some questions..

Thanks everyone..
My input to your questions:
1) NO - see #2. But double laps can be good since you are already warmed up and can usually do 2 laps without much problem. Double laps are usually best done at night.
2) YES - have a team pair run every other lap for 2 laps each (that eats up about 4 hours or more in a typical 24-hr race and provides extended rest for your other team members). Switch pairs and keep going. There are many possibile combinations that will work and there may be just a few combinations that work best. Use your strong and weak riders to your advantage. Change up your order if it is not working for someone.
3) YES - an extra battery is always a good idea unless you have one that you know will last for all your laps.
4) NONE to LITTLE - with a 5-man team you should be able to go nearly full out all the time.
5) YES - sleep at every opportunity, but only after refueling, hydrating, and getting your equipment ready for the next lap. Make sure someone in your group is responsible for getting you up for your lap(s).

·
Shut up and ride
1,159 Posts
jrm said:

kinda neat to see different answers/ideas, I have done two 5 person 24's, each time there also was two more teams of 5 in our group of friends.

I'll asssume the course will take the avg rider 60-90 minutes per lap

IMO:

1)No
2)Yes
3)plan on 2 night laps (at least 3 hours of burn time)
4)I'd say go at 95-100% each lap, but make sure you take in LOTS of calories between each lap
5)I normally dont sleep, but my advice = come in, eat, get your bike &stuff ready for the next lap & then try to take a nap (make sure someone will wake you up!)

We pretty much stick to the same order (1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5, ) unless if someone was hurt/sick or to send out the fastest rider out for the last lap/to make the time cutoff.

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
Some info or ideas

jrm said:
Some questions..

Thanks everyone..
Answers to #
1. No but we do lap on and lap off , lap on, then rest...so your still warm...depends on course length and difficulty though... it breaks down like this(numbers being riders).......1 2 1 2 3 4 3 4 5 1 5 1 2 3 2 3.......etc...

2. ive had teammates in the mornin go nuts and do 3 laps...how do u feel?

3. no neeed for xtra battery...however i found i rely heavily on a bar mount and head mount both

4. U can take it a little easy off the start if ya want ...check lap times after a couple laps and see whos doin what

5. No i cant ever get to sleep personally, no matter how i arrange lap times........last year and ha tommorrrow im sure i am always worrying if its my turn or who is out....but then again im usually stuck as captain

And xtra info...i go much faster listenin to mp3 out there at night or whenever.its not a regular race so stay alert...whatever helps

-Boz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.