Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SS Clyde 29er
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time of the year again,

This year some friends and I are going to do a 4 person (coed) team vs last year's 5 person crew.

I noticed last year's Single Speed winner rode a really low gear: 32:20 on a standard MTB (26" wheels). So this year I'm going to be riding my 29er single speed (32:20 w/ 44mm tires), possibly if i get way delerious my SS fixed gear Psycho-Cross bike (gearing to be determined but w 35mm tires) and if I'm feeling like a girly man, I'll reach for my Surly Crosscheck (tripple ring and 38mm tires).

The rest of my team is going to either ride geared or switch off btwn geared n single speeds.

So what gearing are you other single speeders going to be running? Any fixed gear folks racing as well? If so, tell me bout ur bike.

What do u all think about double laps on this years course? Or alternating laps: rider A, rider B, rider A, rider B, rider C, rider D, C, D, ...etc. Or got any other race strategies you are willing to share? We're in it for the fun but, wanna do our best.

Anyway, Ya'll come on by and say HI. Team "Niscene Ya" will be Section F Site 13. And bring your own damn beer, esp u fellow single speed moochers, hehehehe,

Cheers!

·
29 inches and Pissed Off!
693 Posts
fire horse said:
It's that time of the year again,

The rest of my team is going to either ride geared or switch off btwn geared n single speeds.

So what gearing are you other single speeders going to be running?

Anyway, Ya'll come on by and say HI. Team "Niscene Ya" will be Section F Site 13. And bring your own damn beer, esp u fellow single speed moochers, hehehehe,

Cheers!
I prerode using the geared 29er yesterday. Man, that thing felt heavy. If it doesn't rain too much today, I am using the SS 29er with 34/20. That's about 50 gear inches.

As far as mooching, it's a god given right for all SSers to mooch beer. See you next week.
I haven't seen you in Nisene yet?
Dan C.
:D

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I rode it on the gearie FS..

Captain Kana said:
I prerode using the geared 29er yesterday. Man, that thing felt heavy. If it doesn't rain too much today, I am using the SS 29er with 34/20. That's about 50 gear inches.

As far as mooching, it's a god given right for all SSers to mooch beer. See you next week.
Dan C.
And it felt like a frickin ANCHOR. Im rethinking what my options are.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
24HOA course Map Altitude Wrong

jrm said:
And it felt like a frickin ANCHOR. Im rethinking what my options are.
The Laguna Seca course map on the 24HOA site shows an incorrect altitude gain for the course. It shows 2130 ft per lap. It's only about 1300 feet of altitude gain / lap.

I was a bit intimidated by 2130ft in 10 miles...over 24 hours, Then we rode the course. 1300 ft isn't nearly as bad.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
The Laguna Seca course map on the 24HOA site shows an incorrect altitude gain for the course. It shows 2130 ft per lap. It's only about 1300 feet of altitude gain / lap.

I was a bit intimidated by 2130ft in 10 miles...over 24 hours, Then we rode the course. 1300 ft isn't nearly as bad.
I didn't have my GPS set correctly and so it did not measure the track as we were riding. I can't picture how it would have been 2130 - perhaps a mistype of 1230' or 1320' - those are more believable numbers. The SO course was about 20 miles & <2500' IIRC.

Did you measure it in some graphically transferrable method?

·
SS Clyde 29er
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definately come on by so we can finally meet...

Captain Kana said:

Dan C.
Lately my riding has been eratic, esp. w/ the 6 month old and all. My neighbor is on the team as well, so you'll get to meet another Niscene affectionato. Oh yea, pssst...the guys campin next to us from a local bike shop may...now don't tell every one...just might be bringing along a shhh...keg. Okay, keep it on the down low aiight. Either way I'll save one for ya!

Troy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.