Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, not really! Look Out 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo ------ HERE WE COME!

Thursday Midnight:
Riding gear for at least five rides – check
Headlight systems and back-ups – check
35 foot RV – check (thanks Bentar)
Trailer full of bikes, tools, firewood and water – check
Nice weather (only a 30% chance of rain in Tucson on Friday) – check

Friday 4:00am:
We’re off to sunny southern Arizona for a weekend of camaraderie and fun riding our bikes in near perfect weather in our first 24 hour event. The Las Vegas Desperados had nine guys head down to try our collective hands at endurance racing.

Funny thing though, these things called plans. As we drove further south (south equals warm –right) the weather deteriorated and by the time we reached Tucson, missed the exit, drove ten miles through Tucson, and returned to the proper exit – the rain was only coming down harder. Then somewhere along the muddy road of slime the rain started turning to snow! Yippie, at least we had some fun watching the guys in the 4x4’s passing us and sliding into the ditch!

Now lets get this straight, camp was not 35ft RV with trailer friendly. We managed to make furrows in the ground that would make a farmer proud, we knocked the spare tire off, and nearly tore the front section of roof off the trailer. So we ditched the trailer with $35,000 worth of bikes and headed through camp on foot to find a spot big enough for the RV, trailer, Super Crew Dodge pickup and our work area.

Finally, twelve and a half hours after leaving Las Vegas we settled into a good spot on Hayes Brakes Rd. In our collective wimpiness we decided that setting up our pit area would wait until morning and cooked up some grub and watched James Bond movies until midnight.

Saturday 7:00am:
We’re up, and like busy little ants, were working on bikes, camp, breakfast, and a snowball or two in preparation for our weekend of racing.

Attachments

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Noon:
The gun goes off and the race is on and mountain bikers are running for their bikes. Mike K. reported that lap one was a slugfest of mud, water, goo and a bazillion riders fighting for a spot on the single track. We battled it out through the first afternoon like a well oiled machine with teammates waiting in the tent (or in the outhouse fairly close by) for returning riders. We seemed to be pretty good at maintaining a one hour thirty minute average for our riders.

Sundown:
A little darkness does not daunt the Desperado crew. We’re pretty accustomed to riding technical trails like those at Bootleg Canyon in the dark so laps on smooth single track aren’t very scary. One problem though, we had nine guys and those of us taking our first laps at night had no idea how tall the hills were or where we were heading.

Midnight:
I’ll freely admit that by mile 12 or so (my computer sensor wasn’t reading so I had no idea how far I had come) I was completely turned around and had no idea where I was trying to go. Somewhere around mile 13 the coyotes were howling away a couple of hundred feet from the trail ---- and I still had no idea where I was going. The woman I passed looked a little concerned as I shot by leaving her to a certain doom by coyote. Finally I hit the stream crossing that I had heard was near the top of last climb and I knew I was nearly done! Good thing, my toes were freakin’ frozen.

1:00am:
Back in camp we had the laptop pulling relatively real-time scoring and lap times. We’re fighting it out for tenth place in the corporate division. Wow, I sucked up that ride! Shane beat me and he finished the last mile and a half with only one pedal. Oh yeah, if anyone found an Eggbeater SL on the last climb – oh never mind…

Half the guys are sleeping in the back of the RV while the rest of use are hanging out watching the computer and trying to get calmed down after our laps. We try to sleep, but every time one of the guys come in from a lap we have to know how they did, how is the trail, how many people got eaten by coyotes?

Attachments

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sunday Morning:
We’re still going. Not quite as strong but still pretty good. A couple of the guys take their turns getting pre-lap massages and turn in faster laps. Ye Haw!!!!! I figured I’d take all the pre-race precautions that I might have ignored on Saturday and I have a bagel, oatmeal and a banana for breakfast, I get dressed early and go down for a massage and head into the tent and wait for my turn on the pedals. While I’m waiting I chat with Sarah (screampint) and can see how proud she is of her son. Maybe someday my daughters will be my racing companions.

11:38am:
Twenty-two minutes before shutdown I’m off. Holy cow, this trail is awesome. The single track had a nice hard pack grove down the middle (that I can actually see now that it’s daytime), the sun was warm and I was as ready as I could have been. The B!thches weren’t scary at all now that I could actually see them further out than thirty feet. I actually saw the corral this time around and could pick out the trail around and the fast routes through the cactus and scrub brush. Wow, this was a fun trail! I passed a ton of exhausted riders taking breaks along the last half of the loop and slowly caught a dude with a red cape. He became my last lap rabbit and I was using him to pace the last climb. He’d pull away and I’d slowly work back to him and by the top of the trail I caught him for good. Barreling down past camp like a 250 pound freight train I was all over his rear tire waiting for a chance to pass. I’d get close and he’d shut the door on me and I’d pop back on his tail looking for the next opportunity. Finally my chance came when he chose the Rock Drop Option (which I really wanted to do --- but in the heat of competition I decided to try the Greeny route in an attempt to make the pass). I’d heard that the rock drop was faster, but I had no choice. As soon as he went left I hammered as hard as I could to the right. As I came around the tight left at the end of the rock pile I heard the crowd cheer (he must have crested the drop). No matter, I had a fairly straight shot to the intersection and I hadn’t scrubbed any speed. I had him!!!!! It was awesome! I strolled through the finish line with the Desperados are eagerly waiting my arrival – so they could get the heck out of 24 Hour Town before the traffic!

12:57pm:
That was it, we were out of there. I finished about 13 minutes faster on the last run than I did on my midnight lap and felt like I redeemed myself. As we were cruising back towards Phoenix Scott pulled up the final results and we had finished in 7th place in the Corporate division – pretty nice for a bunch of first timers!

Attachments

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Various Photos and Notes

Note #1: Those SS 29ers are freakin' fast!!!!!
Note #2: The 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo was a great event. :thumbsup: Good job organizers and volunteers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Note #3: It's hard being a competitor and photographer at the same event.

Attachments

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
mattbikeboy said:
In our collective wimpiness we decided that setting up our pit area would wait until morning and cooked up some grub and watched James Bond movies until midnight.
Great report. :thumbsup: I thought the above was worth repeating. :D

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Nice to meet you. You have far more photos than we do, so you did well with the photography. I was lucky to remember I even had a camera.

Never did get out for that last lap. My son didn't think I would go out for more torture and waited until the cut off time to come in, as he was not wanting to go for a third lap in a row.

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
screampint said:
Nice to meet you. You have far more photos than we do, so you did well with the photography. I was lucky to remember I even had a camera.

Never did get out for that last lap. My son didn't think I would go out for more torture and waited until the cut off time to come in, as he was not wanting to go for a third lap in a row.
Now that IS a good son!!! :thumbsup:

mbb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts