Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ibsians,

wanted to share the joy of racing my Mojo at the 24h race in Finale Ligure in Italy, a bit more than a week ago. We tried it for the first time, in a team of 8 (yes, that's pretty wimpy ;)), next year I would love to do it in a team of 4.

For those who don't know the race: it's Europe's biggest 24h race, afaik, with about 1500 bikers in ~200-300 teams, and a good bunch of soloists. A team of singlespeed niner bikers from the states won the race in the 8 categories - very impressive guys. Our team was far less serious (hence the name Rotund Racing Team), I tried to push myself though and had lots of fun. The course is amazing - an 8.2km loop with 220m climbing, and at least 60-70% single trail, and a bit of fire road where you can overtake more easily. The views are breathtaking and the riding is extremely fun (and dusty ;)).

There were some professional photographers on the course who took great pictures. Sorry for my ugly mug ruining the views of the trail and the mojo :). Needless to say the Mojo was brilliant.

Next year it's gotta be done again, in a team of 4...

Cheers
jever

Attachments

·
Has a cycling disorder
536 Posts
Well done Jever, this race has awesome views judging by the look of the photos... good enough to make you stray into the shrubbery I think. Definitely try a team of 4 next year... you'll have a blast.
While on the topic of 24hr events, if you (or any other Mojo and Tranny riders for that matter) have the time and resources, come to Australia and race the Mont 24 Hour Race next year. It's a race I am involved with and this year we hosted 2250 riders (some 500 teams) riding an 18km course through some of the nicest flowing singletrack we have down our way. Come ride the Bird in 2010.
Fish.

·
Registered
849 Posts
fishboy2807 said:
Well done Jever, this race has awesome views judging by the look of the photos... good enough to make you stray into the shrubbery I think. Definitely try a team of 4 next year... you'll have a blast.
While on the topic of 24hr events, if you (or any other Mojo and Tranny riders for that matter) have the time and resources, come to Australia and race the Mont 24 Hour Race next year. It's a race I am involved with and this year we hosted 2250 riders (some 500 teams) riding an 18km course through some of the nicest flowing singletrack we have down our way. Come ride the Bird in 2010.
Fish.
:thumbsup: +1 on that, I rode it as my first 24 hour and first time riding that track. All I can say is amazing flowy track, I tip my hat to whoever designed and built the many trails around there!....coming home with 2nd was nice too! :p

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Love that format

We have a few 24 hr races a year here and then a 9-5 .. same format just from 9 in the morning to 5 in the afternoon.

Last year I did it solo but this year I decided to take it easy and do it in a team of 4 ... to be honest the solo attempt last year was more stressful... in a team if its your turn to ride it is your turn...... solo I can just snooze the alarm, lol

We only had about 100mm of climbing per lap... but it was a fast twisty course full of single-track....was also held in a game reserve so at night you could see the eyes of the game as they watched you from a distance when you turned your head and looked at them with the light on.

I can't wait for my next one...

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@fishboy: racing in oz would be great, if it just wasn't so far...

@liam: did you go solo? That's amazing

@DH_WP: Can't believe you did a solo 24h - where do you take the endurance from? How does one prepare for a 24h race? Congrats on the nice pics!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts