817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi:

i wanna build a light and not too expensive front wheel. I´m gonna use this:

rim: sun ufo 28 holes
spokes: dt revolution 2.0-1.5-2.0 black
niplles: dt alu nipples black or dt pro lock alu black
hub: American classic road micro hub 28 spokes

A friend of mine has exactly the same hub but rebranded as bontranger and only 24spokes. The spokes are so high tensioned that the wheel is uñtra strong and stiff. He is a downhiller but uses this wheel on his gary fisher and he says that the wheel is bomb-probe. 2 years and no problem (and he broke the rear one and the frame :eek: ).

My question is this: As the ac micro hub is available in several drillings (32, 28, 24) and i´m 66kg and no big jumps (my sid is 6 years old and goes perfect) i´m thinking on going 24holes instead of 28:

which is the lightest mtb rim available at 24holes?
is there a rim available at 28 holes black lighter than sun ufo or with the same weight but cheaper?

thanks

·
Velodramatic
533 Posts
i'd say NO. the only MTB rim i know is Mavic's CrossRoc UST rim. not very light..... stick with the 28 h drilling. as for rims, i'd say finding any lighter one will be difficult

·
Maromero
1,593 Posts
Not only crossrocs

You can also choose crossrides, I had those, not so light, but they are not tubeless as the rocs. Also very solid, the only time I had to true the front wheel was when I caught a stick with my spokes, other than that, no trueing in 3 years with 74 kg over them.
Saludos MaLól y suerte con tus rines.

·
MaLóŒ¢*size=
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i prefer death than buying a mavic complete wheel, cause they aren´t light they aren´t strong and they aren´t cheap. And what i want must be cheap light and strong...

·
Registered
601 Posts
MaLóL said:
hi:

i wanna build a light and not too expensive front wheel. I´m gonna use this:

rim: sun ufo 28 holes
spokes: dt revolution 2.0-1.5-2.0 black
niplles: dt alu nipples black or dt pro lock alu black
hub: American classic road micro hub 28 spokes

A friend of mine has exactly the same hub but rebranded as bontranger and only 24spokes. The spokes are so high tensioned that the wheel is uñtra strong and stiff. He is a downhiller but uses this wheel on his gary fisher and he says that the wheel is bomb-probe. 2 years and no problem (and he broke the rear one and the frame :eek: ).

My question is this: As the ac micro hub is available in several drillings (32, 28, 24) and i´m 66kg and no big jumps (my sid is 6 years old and goes perfect) i´m thinking on going 24holes instead of 28:

which is the lightest mtb rim available at 24holes?
is there a rim available at 28 holes black lighter than sun ufo or with the same weight but cheaper?

thanks
From my memory Sun 0deg XC (or whatever their premier XC rim was) comes in a 24 hole drilling but their real weight is more like 420-430g.

Also have you considered using DT Revo 1.8-1.5-1.8 spokes since you seem to be quite light?

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
If you can find a Sun M14A, I read in bikepro that they can be used for mtb even though they are labeled as Aero, and come in a 28hole version. They are 360g so they are light. And, they come in purple and blue! The problem with them, is finding the rims. I saw some on German ebay but no 28 hole version. I just know they come in 28. Here is a pic I stole from the ones on ebay:

·
MaLóŒ¢*size=
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have considered using 1.8-1.5 spokes instead of 2.0-1.5 spokes, but 1.8 is dangerous for the hub cause it can damage the hole for the spoke at the hub. You need to use a special spacer to avoid this problem. This problem increases using radial lacing pattern and high tension on spokes, so i´ll stick to 2.0-1.5 spokes. Anyway thanks for your help.

·
Maromero
1,593 Posts
No need

MaL󌝩 prefer death than buying a mavic complete wheel said:
to buy the complete wheelset, you can buy only the rim, not really sure about the weight, but certainly lighter than crossroc.
Just another option.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Hey, I just checked Suns website and the UFO rim comes in a 24 hole version. So basically you get the rim you wanted originally but in 24 hole. Thats 4 less spokes and nipples, so I dont know if its that much of a savings. I guess most of the weight would depend on a lighter hub.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts