Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a correct order for shifting with regard to the left(1-2-3) shift paddle and the right(1-8) shift lever?

If your right shifter is in 8th gear, can you shift the left shifter from 2 to 1 without first shifting down on the right shifter from 8 to 1?

Does that make sense?

The reason I ask is that if the right shifter(rear derailier) is at 8, then the left shifter(front derailier) won't move the chain to the innermost smallest sprocket when the left shifter is shifted from 2 to 1.

Is there a proper way to shift gears, or does this bike just need to be adjusted?

·
Registered
602 Posts
It needs adjusting it sounds like. You should be able to shift into any gear regardless of what your other gears are set to.

However, there is a correct way to shift. If you have your front gears on your low gear (innermost gear) and you set your rear gears to your high gear (outermost, small gear) and look at the chain from above it will not be parallel to your bike. It'll be slightly angled. This can cause chain rub on the derailleur and is called cross chaining.

I'm no expert, but from what I've picked up here on the forums, when in 1st gear up front, the highest gear you should use is 6th. When in 3rd gear up front, the lowest gear you should use is 3rd. If you're in second gear up front you can use all gears in the back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts