Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Did anyone use this size for "Enduro"?

I´ve got a 35cm bb height and 68º head angle.

I think that maybe with a smaller wheel I´ll get more or less a 33 cm bb height and 67-67.5º head angle.

what do you think?

SALUD!!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think the BB hight and angle you have at the moment is fairly decent. Have you ever riden a 24" wheel? They are small. Especially in an "enduro" event it will just wear you out and make the bumps so much more noticable.

Alternativly, thought of a 27.5" wheel on the front?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No thanks,

In general, I´m happy with the bike´s geometry, but I feel it "high". I don´t want to raise it more, but try to lower my butt.

Besides, I think that the result with a 24" rim won´t ruin the geometry. But left it more "downhileable"

SALUD!!!

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
24" wheels don't do well on any obstacles that have edges or sharp "V's". Smooth transitions and such are probably fine for the 24", but the more rough and technical the terrain or obstacles become, the more the shorter wheel wants to "hang up" and stall. 24" setups usually accelerate a little better but not enough to offset the hanging up and stalling in many situations. A riding buddy who is an extremely capable rider had a 24" on the rear of his Bullit. Even with a 3.0 Gazzy tire, you can see how short this thing is from these pics. He's never tried a 24" on any of his other bikes as a result.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, fortunately, I´m not fond of rocky terrain, anyway :D Besides, being the rear, I expect that the capability to pass over as if it would be on the front.

Anyway, it would be a borrowed wheel, just to try.

SALUD!!!

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
If you're getting to borrow a wheel to test, then definitely go for it. Most riders will prefer a 26" to a 24", but people and places are different, so see how it suits your preference. Be careful though...the first ride may make your bike feel snappy and a big improvement. Reserve judgement until you get a little time at the kind of places you normally ride. Many bikes feel really good when you first slap one on there. The warts often show up as you get familiar with it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
TNC said:
He already has a 26" wheel, and he'd like to experiment with a 24" rear to lower the BB and slacken the head angle.
Hmm couldn't figure the point out. Be careful, experience taught me (accidentally) that a lower BB means lower pedals, and pedals don't like the ground that much. I broke a chainstay and replaced it with the wrong one, had to ride a different chainstay which had the seatstay pivot lower than the regular one, lowered my BB and slackened my HA but the geometry sucked big time, just thought you might want to know that your geo might be radically affected

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Luigiugueto said:
Hmm couldn't figure the point out. Be careful, experience taught me (accidentally) that a lower BB means lower pedals, and pedals don't like the ground that much. I broke a chainstay and replaced it with the wrong one, had to ride a different chainstay which had the seatstay pivot lower than the regular one, lowered my BB and slackened my HA but the geometry sucked big time, just thought you might want to know that your geo might be radically affected
I don´t thing i´ll get a dangerously low BB. The bike has now 35 cm and I will lower it more or less 2 cm, the resulting geometry is not weird. (I hope)

SALUD!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TNC said:
If you're getting to borrow a wheel to test, then definitely go for it. Most riders will prefer a 26" to a 24", but people and places are different, so see how it suits your preference. Be careful though...the first ride may make your bike feel snappy and a big improvement. Reserve judgement until you get a little time at the kind of places you normally ride. Many bikes feel really good when you first slap one on there. The warts often show up as you get familiar with it.
Yes, first test will be in an ideal place for smaller wheels, a park near my house with built jumps (I only take the smallest :D)

If happy, I will take the ***** to my usual biking place. Let´s see.

SALUD!!!

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
here's my AM/DH/DJ hardtail....hard to tell but she's wearing a 24x3.0 in the rear. i personally prefer the 24" rear for what this bike is used for (mostly local DH), i like the slacker angles and lower BB height. with the big 3.0" meat in the back it's only slightly smaller than a 26x2.1 tire.

sometimes i will put on a 24x2.1 in the back and ride local trails, nice acceleration but i do concede that it will hang up on ledgy obstacles. much prefer my 29er for that type of riding!

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
ferday said:
here's my AM/DH/DJ hardtail....hard to tell but she's wearing a 24x3.0 in the rear. i personally prefer the 24" rear for what this bike is used for (mostly local DH), i like the slacker angles and lower BB height. with the big 3.0" meat in the back it's only slightly smaller than a 26x2.1 tire.

sometimes i will put on a 24x2.1 in the back and ride local trails, nice acceleration but i do concede that it will hang up on ledgy obstacles. much prefer my 29er for that type of riding!
Mary Bars on a DH/DJ bike? That's adventurous.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ferday said:

Wierd bike haha :D

What is that bar? I would like to test it something like that... interesting.

I think that I will try more "normal" tyre sizes, something in between 2.1 min and 2.35 max.

SALUD!!!

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,200 Posts
dUTO said:
Hi,

Did anyone use this size for "Enduro"?

I´ve got a 35cm bb height and 68º head angle.

I think that maybe with a smaller wheel I´ll get more or less a 33 cm bb height and 67-67.5º head angle.

what do you think?

SALUD!!!
I was once in the same boat. I wanted to lower the bb and slack the bike out slightly. I used a shock with a slightly shorter stroke and eye-to-eye length.

How much travel is this bike? If it's up around 6", then 33cm bb is pretty low.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
dUTO said:
I don´t thing i´ll get a dangerously low BB. The bike has now 35 cm and I will lower it more or less 2 cm, the resulting geometry is not weird. (I hope)

SALUD!!!
I never said I got a dangerously low BB, the difference was under 3cm and my geometry was the one that changed drastically. Good luck with it anyways.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kapusta said:
I was once in the same boat. I wanted to lower the bb and slack the bike out slightly. I used a shock with a slightly shorter stroke and eye-to-eye length.

How much travel is this bike? If it's up around 6", then 33cm bb is pretty low.
I´ve already had changed the stock Float R for a coil Dhx 3, which I like, so I don´t think I´ll change it, unless it brokens...

The bike has 5" (an RM Etsx)

SALUD!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.