Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my knowledgable friends, tell me what you think of having a 24" rear wheel.
I'm getting a 03 specialized big hit pro which takes 24" rear wheel only.
Eager to know more about what's coming up to me.

Posted a simmilar thread before, but nobody mentioned any bad things about 24".
But why most companies stick with 26 if 24 is so perfect?

Thanks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
24 = quicker acceleration but is harder to roll over things....still you will have no problems with it
...Other than finding tires,good rims and taking a serious beating going down bumpy stuff.I had 2 of those big hits and thought they were fine until I rode a 26" wheel.Yes they give you quicker acceleration but they're also slower at high speed and boy do you get beat up on them.Honestly, unless if you can get a crazy good deal on it, I would pass and get something else.24" are dead IMO for DH, heck even in 2003 they were dead.

It all depend on where you are and what you are planning to do with it.If its for DH, I'd stay away,if its for freeriding, well the 24 is easier to move around when you are moving slow so it would help on logs and tight drop I guess...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
todd_freeride said:
Hunt around, there is a linkage kit that allows you to run 26" wheels on older big hits. but I think they stopped making them in 2005.
A linkage kit? Cool.
Made by specialized?
Any idea how much does that cost?
Is there a part number? Where and how can I find it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mt Ashland said:
i'd be alright, but i still think dual 26's would be overall better (besides for a little acceleration)
exit speed is the key to racing
people who turn great are most likely faster on race courses anyone can put it on the 9th gear and pedal their a$$ off but cornering and faster acceleration is key

Sam Hill - Sometimes you have to slow down to go fast!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
exit speed is the key to racing
people who turn great are most likely faster on race courses anyone can put it on the 9th gear and pedal their a$$ off but cornering and faster acceleration is key

Sam Hill - Sometimes you have to slow down to go fast!!!

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
todd_freeride said:
Hunt around, there is a linkage kit that allows you to run 26" wheels on older big hits. but I think they stopped making them in 2005.
BETD makes them but not worth the coin to do it IMO

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
foxracing said:
A linkage kit? Cool.
Made by specialized?
Any idea how much does that cost?
Is there a part number? Where and how can I find it?
specialized doesn't make it....not worth the coin....seriously I rode a big hit and loved it.....I say go for the 24 inch rear and ride it

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The 24" wheel won't hold you back too much. I can feel it on long climbs and it is a biatch to find tires but overall I keep up with my 26" riding buddies.
If the deal rocks, get it and ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
24"
goods:
stronger
acceleration
better braking
lighter
bads:
hard to find tires/tubes/rims
does not roll over things as easily
26"
goods:
faster top speed
basically all rim/tire choices
rolls over obstacles easier
bads:
not as strong
heavier
how does a 24 inch tire help with braking??? 26 inches = more tire contact area= better braking bucky.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
bennetto859 said:
how does a 24 inch tire help with braking??? 26 inches = more tire contact area= better braking bucky.
Better braking may be due to rotational weight more than contact area. A larger diameter wheel with more rotational mass is harder to stop and start. Analogy: stock brakes are made to work with stock tires and wheels on a car/truck. Change to larger wheels (22-24 inch dubs for example), the stock brakes are taxed and should be upgraded to larger rotors (Brembo, etc). Same for bikes. With this analogy, the old Bighits with 6" rotors in the rear were mechanically sufficient but for aesthetics and marketing, the 8" rotor was installled to match the front (I did this too;) ).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love better cornering, but I hate getting bumpy rear end.
I think the best way to find out if a 24 wheel suits me, is to try and find our for my self.
THX guys!
Keep riding!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.