Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wanting to get my son a mountain bike for a few years now. I think he's about ready for a 24" but I just don't have alot of $ to invest in it. In reality he may ride it once and never again. Or he may love it. Either way, I don't have the $ to put into a $400+ bike. Is there any possible way I could get something decent for $200 or less?

Keep in mind this isn't for heavy duty trail riding, just casual trails.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Used ,or find one to borrow. You could start with a big box store bike to see if he likes it ,if he doesn't not a big loss,if he does then you look for something better.

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
Check out the "Families and Riding with Kids" subforum...

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
Kmart bikes are great for this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I checked out craigslist and there isn't anything nearby.

I will check out the "Families and Riding with Kids" subforum.

His grandfather actually bought him one from Academy sports but the gears were terrible. Adjusting didn't even help. He took it back.

I know he'll love the bike just to ride around the neighborhood but he just got a 20" bmx/freestyle bike at christmas for that.

I just need to keep looking I guess.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Kids wear out bikes so fast, and out grow them. If you're not sure if he'll use I, go to ***** or sports authority and get one of those cheaper diamondbacks. At least the parts are standard and if something breaks any bike shop will carry it. When I was a kid, bikes were totally a status symbol. I assume they still are, so don't get him a huffy haha

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
You can find Diamondback or K2 at Di*ks, REI's Novara brand or LBS.

When I was on that situation I found a Diamondback Octane 24 for a bit over $200 at one of my local shops, the kid loved it and eventually was upgraded with LX components; he rode/raced it a lot and eventually outgrew it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Giant Trance X2 is a very nice option. But if your kid is into biking… I was in the bike shop a few weeks ago and weighed it. It weighs less than the Reaper that I bought for my son (see below). The added benefit is that you get a bike for your wife at the same time!

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
The Giant Trance X2 is a very nice option. But if your kid is into biking… I was in the bike shop a few weeks ago and weighed it. It weighs less than the Reaper that I bought for my son (see below). The added benefit is that you get a bike for your wife at the same time! https://*****************.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/20/buy.gif
So you think a Trance X2 is a 24" kid's bike?
Wait until he fits on a 26" and actually cares for the sport before buying anything as expensive as a Trance.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
You could put 24" rims on a 26" bike if you're using disk brakes, the bb height will be lower but might be worth checking out; we did it when my son gave DH a try and was too short for a 26" bike and another parent took the idea and did the same for his kid; he was riding a Transition Siren and my kid a Norco Shore.

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
OP said he was trying to work within a budget of a couple hundred dollars; I'm thinking buying a Trance or a disc-equipped 26" bike plus a spare set of 24" wheels and tires are wildly outside of it.

How old is the kid, and what type of riding has he been doing?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was in the same position. Just found a used Giant MTX 225 for my 9 year old on CL for under $60. (retails around $220 new) Cleaned up real nice, put on a new seat, adjusted and ready to go!

Lots of stuff on CL. Just keep an eye out and be ready to pounce! This way you are not out much money. My daughter is only a year or two from transitioning to a small 26" so I did not want to spend a couple hundred on a 24" bike. She is too big for her cheapo wally world 20" she currently has. Used is the way to go for these transition bikes IMO. This way you can tell if they are really into it or not. Its going to get dropped and banged around anyways. I wont cry so much now when it does. :) This is her first "real bike" with actual decent components. She loves it!

20140416_194006.jpg

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you're son already has a BMX bike, why not take him out to an easy trail on that? Keep checking CL and spring yardsales for a proper mtn bike, if he likes it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're son already has a BMX bike, why not take him out to an easy trail on that? Keep checking CL and spring yardsales for a proper mtn bike, if he likes it.
That's what I've been doing. But I really need to replace his tires. They're more for freestyle or something. They are kinda road tires with no traction.

I've been checking CL every few days or so. Hopefully something will turn up.

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
Have any bike recycle shops around? I picked up a Trek for my youngest at one of them last year. Any decent brand of used bike down to 50% or less of initial msrp is going to hold the same value as you bought it if you don't incur more wear and tear. If he rides it three times and stops, you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

You can get some bonkers deals off Craigslist. I paid $300 for a different Trek 16 months back that is going for $450-500 this year. A lot of people buy bikes with good intentions... then sell them when they finally realize they are never going to ride them again. Have to be aggressive with CL in the spring, though. Good bikes listed at reasonable prices go fast during the outdoor rediscovery season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts