Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the *narrowest/lightest* tire you can get to seat properly on a large marge? i have one laced for my off road handcycle & the 3" arrow racing tire is HEAVY & very hard to remove. large knobs a must, all my traction comes from the tire. would like to keep the LM, i often run ~10psi for traction & skinny rims allow the tire to "wrap" over the bead............ thanks in advance for any advice/help! Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.

Attachments

·
Stubby-legged
1,302 Posts
Look in the Surly thread

Go to 1x1=11 thread. Skip at Surly has links to some 3" tires the fit the 24in LM. Please coax-plead-beg Surly/Skip to make the 3.7 in Endo in the 24 inch size. I have been on them for 4 years. I understand the cost/benefit ratio...but a 24 In Endo on LM.....WOW:thumbsup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Maybe Panaracer Fire FR 24, Schwalbe Big Betty, or Racing Ralph? All 24"x2.4. 930, 780,and 535 grams respectively. I've seen several people using Large Marges with 2.5 tires (Weirwolf, Hookworm). Perhaps a 2.4 would work.
My friend Taylor is in your frame queue. Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys! i also found: Kujo 24", 940g, holly roller 24" 795g. i want to try & keep it sorta light because, well - i have to pedal it up mtns on singletrack with my hands & slime it for sedona season too............any ideas welcome as per rim/tire suggestions........i'm going from 19" kris holm with a creepy crawler "20 inch" x 2.5" with TR slime tubes for comparison. Steve.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
bontrager used to, and still might, have a revolt 2.25 in 24". it spread out pretty fat on rhyno lite i had one mounted to. fairly light as well and low tread.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Steve, as the "weird" sized wheels seeker, I would like to pass some 24 inf for you.

Rim: Arrow racing FRX 27mm width, 540g; pretty strong but yet not so heavy.
Tire: Tioga Comp III 24x2.125, 450-500g; BMX tire but good pattern for REAR
Tioga Blue Dragon 24x2.1 685g; wider tire as 2.3
Pana Fire FR 24x2.4 850g; really fat tire with agressive nobbies

24 products sources are limited but I think front LM / rear AR FRX is nice combo for your handbike. Hope this helps;)

-Aki

·
Registered
60 Posts
Could someone explain 24 inch wheels to me? I never heard of them before today. Are they common? What are they for? Are Pugsley wheels usually 24 Inch (I had assumed they were 26 inch, just wider than usual)? I know 26 inch wheels, 27 inch wheels, and 700 c wheels, but 24 inch are unknown to me. Thanks!

·
Really I am that slow
3,777 Posts
rep said:
Could someone explain 24 inch wheels to me? I never heard of them before today. Are they common? What are they for? Are Pugsley wheels usually 24 Inch (I had assumed they were 26 inch, just wider than usual)? I know 26 inch wheels, 27 inch wheels, and 700 c wheels, but 24 inch are unknown to me. Thanks!
24" is common for bmx cruisers... 26" is what the pugs is, the 24" marge rim is pretty neat on this bike for sure

·
one chain, two sprockets
354 Posts
Steve,

Last year I built-up Sun Doublewides in 24" with 24x2.6 Nokian Gazz's. In the end I love them. They are my only wheels, and I find them very responsive despite the size. Ask Benno about them - he's my brother and rode them last trip back East!

You can still find the doublewides as NOS, and they are about 45mm wide - a happy medium between a Rhynolite and a LM. Biggest benefit is the wide rolled lip to prevent pinch flats. I can safely run them down to 10-12psi (tubed) and I'm a big dude!

I have been considering the Holy Roller 2.4's for next season. But I'm not totally sold on their traction or sidewall strength. A great park tire though, so I may have to give 'em a try.

Tom P.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts