Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Stubby-legged
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking for a pair of worn out,blown out Endos to do an experiment. I want to chop and shrink some to fit 24in LM rims. Don't want to start out with new ones :eekster: .
If they work, I'll have someone build a Fatbike based on the tire/wheels. Than, I'll make a Fs Fatbike...than a Fatbike tandem.....than, a Connundrum Uni....ohhh boy..the places you'll go.

·
Registered
822 Posts
1spd1way said:
i'm looking for a pair of worn out,blown out Endos to do an experiment. I want to chop and shrink some to fit 24in LM rims. Don't want to start out with new ones :eekster: .
If they work, I'll have someone build a Fatbike based on the tire/wheels. Than, I'll make a Fs Fatbike...than a Fatbike tandem.....than, a Connundrum Uni....ohhh boy..the places you'll go.
How about a recumbant?

·
Stubby-legged
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now you're talking

The possibilities are endless.

How about a Big Dumb tandem, built around the mythical 24 in Endos!

·
Stubby-legged
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the rims-yes

Tires -no. 3inch tires are available from a few tire companies. They work good, flaot fair. The sidewalls are too stiff and don't have the smooth ride of the Endos. the tread is also fairly aggresssive for snow conditions.
I have used a 2.7 tomac the last few winters. Nice tire. Handles low pressure well (about 8-10 lbs.) If I had not built the Pugs with full Endos, I would have thought it was The way to go.

24 in endos would solve many of the issues that short people (like me) have with snowbike sizing. I ride a 16 inch Pugs now. A 14 would be ideal. And as stated before....offroad Tandem....Municycle...recumbent(?)....

·
That Unicycle Guy
354 Posts
How about the 24X4.25 Big Boa?

How are you planning on modifying the tire? I had a vaguely similar tire building/moding project a year ago but noting really came of it other than my first experimental tire to see if it was possible. Here is a link

Whatever you do good luck in your experimentation.

ERIC

·
Stubby-legged
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Want to make

some 24 in endos. I have some 24 in rims (not LM) from a DH bike from a few years ago. Since Surly won't do it...I figured if some had some played out endos , I would experiment.

·
That Unicycle Guy
354 Posts
Again I am curious what your plans are for how to make the endo into a 24"

Or are you just going to get a tire set it infront of you until you get inspired?

The major problem with taking a tire of one size then "shrinking" it to another size is what to do about the bead.

You might be better off taking two cheap 24" tires cutting them near the edge of the tread then sewing the two large portions together. It is something I wanted to try but never got around to since I really had no reason to want a super-wide tire.

·
Stubby-legged
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been playing around

with some old 26 in tires. My quandry has been the reconnection of the bead. Tried overlaying the joint with heavy nyon (like in your thread), light gage braided wire. hand sewing with dental floss,etc. Coating w/liquid rubber. Nothing came out to my satisfaction Always a "bump", always some separation. I may try some of the Boas. The float of the Endo has changed snowriding for me. My 2.7 Dh tires are ok, but the sidwall of the Endo is so supple...:p

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
you could try shaving down the sidewall of your downhill tire to increase it's suppleness.... If you were to sew the tread onto the sidewalls off a 24" tire, you would probably loose some of the suppleness. look into how arrow racing did it when they first started with the 24" wheeled downhill thing. I remember seeing photos of their first tires, which were just chopped down 26" tires. My mind wants to remember it as them just taking a specific amount out of a 26" tire and just resewing it. not sure how that would work with the bead though....

·
That Unicycle Guy
354 Posts
I realize that I was not that clear in my thread but the only part of the tire that I used was the tread peeled off the casing.

I sort of wish that I would have kept the tire intact and rode it for longer to see how it stood up over time but it was not the best build quality since I built it basically as a proof of concept without being to careful about having everything even and strait. The unevenness would have gotten to me fairly quickly. If built carefully (and not outside in the wind) it could have been much more even.

But then I only point out my thread to give you ideas, there is much better discussion about the idea in the unicyclist forums (linked in my thread). And once again I am kicking myself for not buying a disposable camera to take a few pictures of the build and finished product.

Interesting about the Arrow tire, I did not know that they started out as frankentires.

My suggestion for making a fat 24" tire would be to start with a 24" tire with desirable sidewalls, peel the tread off then cut the tire down the center and add a strip of cloth in the middle. Glue a new tread on the widened tire covering the cloth and seams. Make sure that the cloth that is sewn in is cut at a 45˚ bias so that it will stretch into a round shape instead of ending up flat like a car tire.

Or maybe cutting the tire down the middle and just adding a loop of tire, perhaps from a 26" tire, that might be quickest and easiest.

I don't think you want any radial seams.

Just snowballing some ideas.

·
Stubby-legged
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some great ideas

This has rekindled my project. I have been trying to cut 'against the grain' with some 26ers. Getting th thickness of the splice has always been tough. I never thought to split a 24 and add to the middle of the tread. Thtas next.

·
Registered
40 Posts
they aren't endo's, but what about the rims/tires used in this years surly 1x1=11?

Tires -no. 3inch tires are available from a few tire companies. They work good, flaot fair. The sidewalls are too stiff and don't have the smooth ride of the Endos. the tread is also fairly aggresssive for snow conditions.

From your response I get the impression you have not seen these tire. Yes they are 3" but I think thats were it ends. They are light, flexible and have no tread at all.

Edit: Hoggy-G 24 x 3.45 - Now I am wondering what they might be like on a 3 or 4" rim.

·
That Unicycle Guy
354 Posts
Hey 1speed, you still thinking about that 24" fat bike?

I was bored and thought about this project so I got a couple cheep tires cut them apart and sewed them back together. Two Kenda Kenetics 26x2.1s became one 26x3.2 (it is a bit bigger than my 26x3.0s)

Judging by how it turned out I would say two 24x2.5s could be turned into a 24x3.8

Two tires sewn together

Installed on a 46mm rim and inflated to riding pressure (somewhere between 15 and 20psi)

It felt pretty good for a roll around the yard. I will go for a ride on Wednesday weather permitting and see how it handles snowmobile trails. I might even do a back to back comparison with a 26x3 Gazz or Duro.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Hey Eric, what sewing machine did you use? I am wondering what sort of machine would pull the thread through the rubber effectively, and what sort of setup would even walk past the knobs?

·
Stubby-legged
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow

That looks great. I shelved the project for the winter. The snowbiking has been perfect this year.:D
When mud season comes back around, I'm gonna' do some 24's just like this. let us know a little more how they turn out.:thumbsup:

·
That Unicycle Guy
354 Posts
tscheezy said:
Hey Eric, what sewing machine did you use? I am wondering what sort of machine would pull the thread through the rubber effectively, and what sort of setup would even walk past the knobs?
:thumbsup:

It took about 4 hours to do and if I were to do it again I would use a different colored thread since I had poor light.

I am now wondering what I should put on the threads to protect them from abrasion. Do you think silicone calking would work?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Do the Goo...Shoe Goo...household or automotive formulas are a bit more flowable and will allow it to penetrate better

1 - 20 of 24 Posts