Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife are thinking of participating in 24 hr race as a team. We've never raced such distances so I want to ask you advice based on your experience.

I'm thinking about shifts with 2 laps for her (~2 hr) and 3 laps for me (~2.15) with the pace close to 6 hr solo race.

·
Go make a difference
1,247 Posts
I gauge my 24 hour pace such that my avg speed is about 2 mph slower than if I were just going out for a 10-20 mile ride. For instance, if I'm heading out for a quick 10-12 mile ride, my avg may be ~11 mph. My avg speed for 24 hours is going to be 8-9 mph, depending on the course. Some courses will require going slower than that due to increased amounts of climbing, etc.

Doing two lap rotations is good though, IMO. It gives each rider adequate time to recover between turns without opportunity to completely shut down, thus having to completely warm up again.

Good luck to you and the Mrs! Are you guys doing this to celebrate a special occassion (anniversery) or just for the sake of doing it?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
k2biker said:
I gauge my 24 hour pace such that my avg speed is about 2 mph slower than if I were just going out for a 10-20 mile ride. For instance, if I'm heading out for a quick 10-12 mile ride, my avg may be ~11 mph. My avg speed for 24 hours is going to be 8-9 mph, depending on the course. Some courses will require going slower than that due to increased amounts of climbing, etc.

Doing two lap rotations is good though, IMO. It gives each rider adequate time to recover between turns without opportunity to completely shut down, thus having to completely warm up again.

Good luck to you and the Mrs! Are you guys doing this to celebrate a special occassion (anniversery) or just for the sake of doing it?
Thanks, It looks that my suggestion about speed is to be correct.

It's the very first 24 hr race here. I planned to ride it solo but due to illnesses I can't do it now. So we decided to try it as a team just for fun.
The previous longest event here was our 6-hr solo only race which I reported here last August.

·
Registered
407 Posts
stay flexible...

I've done a few 2 man team 24hr races including taking 2nd this year @ 24HOA laguna seca.
My friend and I started the day time laps going every other lap, and prior to dark we started doing 2 laps each. This allowed proper rest/cleanup/time to eat!/batteries to re-charge etc.
Personally, I think your pacing will come naturally (as long as you don't come out of the gates too fast). I would focus more on nutrition to make sure you or your spouse don't bonk. Make sure you're taking in adequate calories, electrolytes and fluids, even when you don't want to - it makes all the difference in the world as I'm sure some of the solo junkies could chime in and give better advice here.

as far as flexible - you never know how one of you may be feeling a few hours into the race - your spouse may feel great and want to do 3 laps while you're barely holding together on 1 at a time. stay flexible and if one of you is feeling it - let 'em go so the other can do the same if the roles are reversed later. It will make the whole event more enjoyable as well as get your lap count up higher than it may have been otherwise.

just my $.02

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, we did it! The race loop was a mudfest in the cold, rainy weather. :D

We were the only mixed duo and took the last place (the 4th ;) ) but it means nothing to us
It was the very first 24-hr race in Russia and we're already thinking about another 24-hr race in Kiev, Ukraine just in three weeks! :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.