Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RichardinLA said:
Hey Garson,

This might be a good way to get a feel for 24 hour races. Pencil me down, contingent upon talking to "the powers that be". It sure sounds like fun!
Cool. Which "powers to be"?

Part of the group is chomping at the bit to register to save a couple of bucks, and a couple of us (maybe just me) are trying to sort things out a little better first.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Calhoun and I did a steady 2 1/2 hrs today. I think he'd be solid and would really like to get in on this, but is tentative due to work-related travel that's going to take a big bite out of his riding in the month before the race.

It's important to remember that events like this are more about just doing it, and sharing the experience. Most people are there just to have a good time surviving, especially since nobody's really in great shape in the first week of February anyway.

I'll see to it that Calhoun gets in a few solid XC rides after the holidays, and then he's going to get his mind straight. So, how about it Richard, are you ready to wade all the way in?

I've decided to ditch my regular teamates, since I'll have a lot more fun talking smack for the next month or so, assuming I can put together a team of Total Freakin' Strangers.

I'd really like to have a 5-person team, which means that if Richard and Calhoun can manage it, and in addition to one other, we really need a good woman (and, who doesn't?), but for more than her charming personality and intelligent conversation. Is there a lady out there who'd like to be queen for a day?

Please, please, please, ...

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
In!

Garson -

You must not be married. Otherwise you would know:

#1: The powers that be = wife
#2: You cannot just ask for permission to be gone most of the weekend. You have to analyze the situation. You have to butter her up and get her guard down. Then you casually mention it and get her to give in. Once permission has been granted, it can't be taken back.

So count me in! Let me know details of what is needed, who to pay etc - maybe PM me.

I would be happy with a 4 person team. If we manage a 5 person coed team, that's fine also. I've actually been training quite a bit lately and plan to keep it up so might be in pretty good shape. I'm not hung up on results though and will be happy to just be out there enjoying the event and having fun! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha, ha! Actually, I have been there and done that, and considering that it only took you 48 hrs, you must be as good at it as I was.

Well, ok then. The next cutoff date for the price going up another $10/person is Jan. 17. Plus, the field is limited to 1600 - probably something like 400 teams - so, let's plan to have whatever we're going to have for a team in order a few days before that so we don't risk getting shut out.

We can discuss logistics as time goes on, and you can look up the fees, etc., on their website.

Ok, who's next? Step right up. Don't be shy.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Garson said:
My friends are trying to expand to 2 teams for the 24 Hrs in the Old Pueblo on 2/13/10.

http://www.epicrides.com/twofour/24.htm

So, if anyone is interested in making a relatively large investment in time, money, travel, we're essentially sport-class riders looking to fill out a second fairly competitive 4-person or 5-person (coed needed) team.
Sounds like fun, but would you welcome an old coot on a SS?

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
RichardinLA said:
Garson -

You must not be married. Otherwise you would know:

#1: The powers that be = wife
#2: You cannot just ask for permission to be gone most of the weekend. You have to analyze the situation. You have to butter her up and get her guard down. Then you casually mention it and get her to give in. Once permission has been granted, it can't be taken back.

So count me in! Let me know details of what is needed, who to pay etc - maybe PM me.

I would be happy with a 4 person team. If we manage a 5 person coed team, that's fine also. I've actually been training quite a bit lately and plan to keep it up so might be in pretty good shape. I'm not hung up on results though and will be happy to just be out there enjoying the event and having fun! :thumbsup:
Esp. when the race falls on Valentine's Day.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
crux said:
Sounds like fun, but would you welcome an old coot on a SS?
Hey, watch that ol' coot stuff.

The consensus seems to be that we'd like to get 16 (or more) laps in as a team, with everyone pulling their own weight. So, if 16.5 mi laps on a XC course, avg ~90 min. per seems reasonable, then I don't think anyone's going to discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed or equipment.

Check out the website for an elevation profile, and the website's forum for some hints about the nature of the course.

The whole idea of riding around the clock is going to be new for me, and plenty weird. So fortunately, riding a steady 65 miles in a day won't be an issue, but that's about all I'm banking on.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
makachut said:
... 90 minute laps are on the slow side .shoot for sub 70-75 minute laps and you may just find yourself on the podium.Remember your representing the 505 do it with pride.
The only side we're on is having a good time.

If anyone wants to be represented, they need to load up their bike.

If pride had anything to do with it, it's doubtful any of us would be getting mixed up with a bunch of freakin' strangers.

·
Thread Pollution
1,734 Posts
Garson said:
The only side we're on is having a good time.

If anyone wants to be represented, they need to load up their bike.

If pride had anything to do with it, it's doubtful any of us would be getting mixed up with a bunch of freakin' strangers.
Good luck with that... your original post said competitive.I for one can find fun in being competitive.
strangers can be fast, too.:p
I cann't make it this year to represent,but, teammonocock will be there siding a goodtime and doing sub 120 minute laps:) .I was kidding about the pride thing,just trying to get you pumped up not pumped down .the night rotation i suggested works out well,plenty of rest for all team members

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
makachut said:
Good luck with that... your original post said competitive.I for one can find fun in being competitive.
strangers can be fast, too.:p
I cann't make it this year to represent,but, teammonocock will be there siding a goodtime and doing sub 120 minute laps:) .I was kidding about the pride thing,just trying to get you pumped up not pumped down .the night rotation i suggested works out well,plenty of rest for all team members
I know your heart was in the right place, Mak. I just don't want potential team members to get the idea that they're going to be held to some lofty standard that none of us may be able to live up to. We're all competitive on our own, so I know we can count on each other to do our best, and we will be appropriately pumped. Dignity is probably a better word then pride.

Currently waiting for one of the very best female racers in NM to decide if she's going to join out team. Everything, including my breath, is on hold till then.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We're down to the final decision as to which of 2 guys are going to step up into the 4th spot to join Richard, Rory and I. Although we flirted with glory, work schedules would not cooperate, so we've had no success in enlisting a female rider to make it a 5-person team.

We'll surely have a respectable 4-person team, and with a good female rider, we could have a downright competitive 5-person team. So, if by some slim chance there's still a woman out there that'd like to join us in this mayhem, we're planning to lock this up in the next couple of days.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.