Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...was hoping for a little feedback from those of you who do these races all the time. I'm considering getting more serious about these solo 24 races, but don't want to make an ass out of myself. I guess the question I'm looking to answer is this: Should I go for it and ride a few bigger races, or will I just make a complete ass of myself if I show up at a larger event in this condition or a little better??

Here's a little background to base your advice on:
I just rode my first 24 hour solo race...took 6th out of 18 solo male riders (small race). The course was 14.5 miles long with 1,200 ft. of climbing/lap. I rode 101.5 miles officially. I'm kinda a naturally strong biker and my training prior to the race involved beer, tacos (I love tacos y burritos), and about 3 recreational rides/week (stiff climbs of about 1 - 2 hours). I fueled during the race with hammer products and I broke down and had a burger after my second lap and a bratwurst for dinner (which combined with the heat took me out for about 2.5 hrs....dumb move!). My night riding was the fastest and most productive in terms of miles. One added note, the 1st and 2nd place riders almost doubled my miles...3rd - 5th were only one or two laps ahead of me, and everyone else was about one or two laps behind me.

Anyway, given the info above, how am I doing for a first 24 hr. solo?? Like I said, the race was a small local race, but I had SO much fun that I'd like to track down a few more of these races and get a little more serious about them. I really want to do more 24's, but don't want to make an ass of myself at my current fitness level.

So...what'do'ya think?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really? No replies at all? Not even a "Stay off the trails fatty!"
huh....

·
Registered
114 Posts
I say keep at it! I've done four 24 hour solo races so far. My first race I injured myself on my second lap and DNF'd (endoed on a screaming downhill and separated the AC joint in my shoulder), second race I did 130 miles, third race I did 184 miles, fourth race I did 170 miles (stopped early because I had already won my age class, 3rd overall and couldn't have moved up any spots).

Anyway my point is that you can keep improving and clearly you are learning from the experience. You might want to stick to local races unless the big ones are nearby and you wouldn't have to travel far. The guys that do well typically go over 200 miles.

Stick with it and you will be amazed at how your mileage will increase as you figure out the ins and outs of successful 24 hour racing. Good luck!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lytleric said:
I say keep at it! I've done four 24 hour solo races so far. My first race I injured myself on my second lap and DNF'd (endoed on a screaming downhill and separated the AC joint in my shoulder), second race I did 130 miles, third race I did 184 miles, fourth race I did 170 miles (stopped early because I had already won my age class, 3rd overall and couldn't have moved up any spots).

Anyway my point is that you can keep improving and clearly you are learning from the experience. You might want to stick to local races unless the big ones are nearby and you wouldn't have to travel far. The guys that do well typically go over 200 miles.

Stick with it and you will be amazed at how your mileage will increase as you figure out the ins and outs of successful 24 hour racing. Good luck!
Good advice, Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
races

Don't pay any attention to whether the races are "big" or not. just do events that look like fun and where you'll enjoy the course. it's not like you'll be slowing anyone else down as long as you know how to move over on the trail you'll be fine. 24 hr races are not like pro road races where you need a certain level of skill to even show up. I would get a lot smarter on training though.
Cheers,

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kretzel said:
I would get a lot smarter on training though.
What?? Tacos and beer doesn't add up to success in endurance events! Haha! Ya, I had so much fun at my first 24 hour that it will absolutely be worth it to dedicate more time and effort to training (including diet!).

Thanks for the input!

LWright said:
you are welcome to make an ass of yourself here
http://www.lakeorovillebicyclists.org/id65.html
Looked at the website...looks like fun, and not to terribly far from home! I'll put it on my calendar and HOPEFULLY I'll be able to make it! November is a long ways away though to know for sure! Thanks!

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
Dude, whatever, go ride! Endurance racing is, for most of us at least, not about being a top competitor but rather about going out there and pushing your own personal limits to see what you can do. There will always be those guys who are top athletes who are genetically blessed who will just go out there and blow our doors off. Don't worry about them or what anyone else things, just ride.

·
livin' the dream......
1,969 Posts
steadygrind- Sounds like you are ahead of me in terms of acutally doing at solo 24! Congrats on that, I am trying to build up to doing one myself, but need to get serious about training.

The only race I've done was last october, 37 miles at 7000ft and I came in 8th out of about 75, and 4th in my age group (30-39). I plan on doing a 60 miler in Oct, and maybe shoot for a 24 in 2009.

good luck with your training!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.