Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Crosley623
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently living in Bozeman, Montana and am transfering to Phoenix about May/June. Theres a few sweet small/local races aorunf this area and I was wondering about what races are available down south. Im not at all a downhill/freestyle rider, I'd rather beat myself up over 50 miles. Any races or groups of people to hook up with would be great.
Andy
 

·
I am Walt
Joined
·
6,393 Posts
crosley623 said:
I'm currently living in Bozeman, Montana and am transfering to Phoenix about May/June. Theres a few sweet small/local races aorunf this area and I was wondering about what races are available down south. Im not at all a downhill/freestyle rider, I'd rather beat myself up over 50 miles. Any races or groups of people to hook up with would be great.
Andy
Best race is the 24 hours in the Old Pueblo north of Tucson on President's Day weekend. Then for endurance races, look for the Whiskey Off-Road (25 or 50) in Prescott in May, 24-hour race in Payson in June, Soul Ride (30 or 60?) down towards Tucson and the Tour of the White Mountains (25, 41, 52, 66) in Oct. There's been talk about maybe another 24-hour race in the Phoenix area in Oct/Nov. Go to the Epic Rides web site for info on some of the above rides - epicrides.com.
 

·
Salty Dog
Joined
·
366 Posts
Also... for your consideration..

Here is one in California that I like:

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=174

It's a 4 or 5 hour drive, but worth the effort! They run one in the spring and another in the fall, so you could hit the fall classic in 07. The moutain area may remind you somewhat of what you have left in Montana....

Tommy

waltaz said:
Best race is the 24 hours in the Old Pueblo north of Tucson on President's Day weekend. Then for endurance races, look for the Whiskey Off-Road (25 or 50) in Prescott in May, 24-hour race in Payson in June, Soul Ride (30 or 60?) down towards Tucson and the Tour of the White Mountains (25, 41, 52, 66) in Oct. There's been talk about maybe another 24-hour race in the Phoenix area in Oct/Nov. Go to the Epic Rides web site for info on some of the above rides - epicrides.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
And if you want to ride near the border, via immigrant trails that route through the mesquites, grassland, riverbeds, washes, pines with about 10000ft of climbing within a 30 mile radius, then you might consider riding with our single speed cult in Sierra Vista-Bisbee, AZ. It is our backyard and your are welcomed anytime. By the way, did mention that our mtb dictator is also from Montana.
 

·
Crosley623
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im sure your right and would be one problem with me getting the access to ride your coveted trails: my bike has a few more than one speed. If you could get over that fact Id love to get down that way and have a great time at it.And if somehow a bike with only one speed makes it way into my garage I promise you Id make it down. Thanks for the insight.
Andy
 

·
mad aussie
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
There is also the Payson Stampede event running in May

http://www.tucsonracing.com/events.htm

Part of the "national endurance racing series" and has 50 mile or 6 and 12 hour options. The local MBAA series also will be having Marathon categories at their events this year. Lots of endurance events on the calender. The problem will be picking which ones to race! It can be easy to burn yourself out racing here from January to November.

Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Flying Wombat said:
There is also the Payson Stampede event running in May

http://www.tucsonracing.com/events.htm

Part of the "national endurance racing series" and has 50 mile or 6 and 12 hour options. The local MBAA series also will be having Marathon categories at their events this year. Lots of endurance events on the calender. The problem will be picking which ones to race! It can be easy to burn yourself out racing here from January to November.

Kevin
This part about the payson stampede bums me out:
"2. New Course! After consulting with the athletes who have done this race, we have decided to take out the single track. The race, except for the initial descent, will be on forest service roads. The course will not climb to the "Top of the World". Still the same great roads, the same beautiful forest and the same challenge."

We decided to take out the singletrack? Huh? Of course, I haven't done it, so maybe the singletrack they had really sucked, but I can't imagine 24 or even 12 hours, all on fire roads. My motivation sucks on a fire roads, I'm just a singletrack ****.

d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Payson course

Well, there was only about 100 yards of single track to begin with anyways, but taking out the climb??? Who the heck did they talk to??? How can you cut out a tough half hour climb and still have "the same challenge"??? I won't be back there again this year, that's for sure.

Oh, and us S.V./Bisbee folk don't care what kind of bike you ride, it's all about the ride, not the bike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
i thought the course was perfect this year. that climb was hell but it was doable each time. singletrack gone! arent we mtn bikers. jesus lets get a cult growing here where if you cant clear it/climb it/ so be it. smooth climbing is boring as hell. tech climbing is hard as hell but fun. and the ladies love to watch me biff in front of them:thumbsup:
 

·
AKA shitbird
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
This is a bunch of crap!! Why would they take out the climb and the single track? I would like to know what riders they consulted. I know that last year the dude running the race was asking everyone "so what did you think of the changes this year" (they had cleaned the rocky portions of the downhill) I told him, along with a few riders who were in the exchange area that they should not clean up the rocks and find more single track INSTEAD of so much service road. The promoter guy (wish I could remember his name) seemed to agree, said something about us being mtn bikers not road bikers. Oh well...

I love the 24 hour races but this "need" to make race courses silky smooth is 83% of why I have no desire to ride in the regular xc race seasons. The other 17% is because I'm the slowest mountain biker in Phoenix.

I'll probably still do the Payson Stampede because I want to support 24 hr racing in AZ but this makes it hard. Maybe I'll ride it on my rode bike....you know, to make a statement.
 

·
sir james
Joined
·
22 Posts
Tell me more

betoman17 said:
And if you want to ride near the border, via immigrant trails that route through the mesquites, grassland, riverbeds, washes, pines with about 10000ft of climbing within a 30 mile radius, then you might consider riding with our single speed cult in Sierra Vista-Bisbee, AZ. It is our backyard and your are welcomed anytime. By the way, did mention that our mtb dictator is also from Montana.
Hmmmmmm, tell me more about your little SS cult in Sierra Vista. I am in Tucson and need to try something different on my SS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Cult!

krhjunior said:
Hmmmmmm, tell me more about your little SS cult in Sierra Vista. I am in Tucson and need to try something different on my SS.
Well, we don't sacrifice small animals at midnight or anything like that, although we do occasionaly give of our own blood to appease the trail spirits! There's just seven or so guys here that like to ride with one gear for the sake of simplicity. There's some pretty good riding down here, including a nice fifty miler over the Huachucas and out around Parker Canyon Lake on part of the AZ Trail. If you're interested in coming down sometime we could hook something up, preferably after it warms up a little. As you are in Tucson, are you doing SSAZ? It's the weekend before the 24HITOP, and promises to be quite a party!
 

·
sir james
Joined
·
22 Posts
skidmark said:
Well, we don't sacrifice small animals at midnight or anything like that, although we do occasionaly give of our own blood to appease the trail spirits! There's just seven or so guys here that like to ride with one gear for the sake of simplicity. There's some pretty good riding down here, including a nice fifty miler over the Huachucas and out around Parker Canyon Lake on part of the AZ Trail. If you're interested in coming down sometime we could hook something up, preferably after it warms up a little. As you are in Tucson, are you doing SSAZ? It's the weekend before the 24HITOP, and promises to be quite a party!
Why yes I am!, riding the SSAZ07 that is. It will be a good time. I am also riding the OTP a la Duo this year. Maybe we can hook up at the SSAZ after party and talk about the riding in your 'hood.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top