Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for some reason that I haven't yet understood, I've just registered to do the 24 Hours of Summer Solstice in the Solo Men's division.:confused:

I guess you get brave when a race is 5 months away. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it and I'll simply be out there to survive and have a good time. I certainly won't be winning any medals.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
103 Posts
ddakin said:
Well for some reason that I haven't yet understood, I've just registered to do the 24 Hours of Summer Solstice in the Solo Men's division.:confused:

I guess you get brave when a race is 5 months away. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it and I'll simply be out there to survive and have a good time. I certainly won't be winning any medals.

Cheers,
Dan
Let us know your plate # , Ill give ya some support out on the couse ( im running a 4 person )

cheers

·
More than a little slow
654 Posts
ddakin said:
I certainly won't be winning any medals.
Why not? Maybe don't go out trying to win but think about getting on the podium.
Ride steady and see what happens. It's a long race and the guys way out in front have lots of time to screw up.
Besides if you try for a place then there's that much more incentive to train now through the winter and more training equals a more enjoyable race.
See ya there.
Cheers, Dave

·
IMBA-GORBA Bike Patrol
98 Posts
wondering

Dan, what has been the longest race you have done so far? Time and or distance. Reason is that I have done a number of 8-12 hour events and some long distance point to points and for the life of me would not think of doing a 24 hour event.
Best of luck to you. There a 24 hour spin coming up that you might want to sit in on.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
ddakin said:

Cheers,
Dan
Having raced against you in shorter events, I will admit, I am very shocked. We have placed very closely in some past events, and i would not consider doing 24h solo.

Just curious, do you have a goal for lap count?

You have got yourself into what is likely to be a challenging and rewarding experience, that you won't forget. We'll be here for ya any time you need support.

:thumbsup:

·
No. Just No.
5,386 Posts
Here's a couple of resources for you Dan;

http://teamhealthfx.com/blogs/dave_harris/archive/category/1033.aspx

http://www.ride424.com/training/Training_Mileage.php

These aren't necessarily the right methods for everyone (some experienced 24 hour soloists have their own routines that work great for them) but for a first timer this should give you some ideas to blend in with your own experience.

Don't be too intimidated by the concept of a 24 hour solo. In truth, out of the entire solo field, only a few riders will actually ride the entire 24 hours with no significant breaks. Just about everyone else takes at least an hour or two (or more) off the bike either in several chunks, or all at once, and if the laps in between are consistent then it's still possible to place relatively highly.

That being said, the real challenge is to see if you can truly handle the entire 24 hours in the saddle and keep the cranks turning. As dskunk said above, train hard now while you have the chance, and regardless of how many laps you put in you'll feel better doing it if your fitness and preparation coming in is good.

·
Person
775 Posts
I did the race solo back in 1996 at Hardwood Hills. My team fell apart a couple weeks before the race, I decided to race solo a week before the race. My longest ride/race by then was only about 3 hours. :eekster:

I just took it easy, rode in a group with some other solo riders. Had a goal ahead of time for number of laps, which I completed. Also found lots of time for rest at night. The one part I really did miss was the time hanging out with your team between laps.

Was thinking about trying it again last year, but maybe this year is the time to try.

One thing I do remember, don't try and drive yourself home after the race. :nono:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Ryan - I figured you'd be most surprised. The thing to remember here is that I'm not racing for a win. Time is not an issue. Survival and pushing myself to my limits is what this is all about.

As for the team aspect, I figured that's one thing I'll miss, but thankfully I have two friends (and former 5-man teammates) who are also doing the race solo this year so we're all camping together and will sort of 'work together' and push each other along.

The driving home after thing is a question I have. My wife is coming with me, but she doesn't drive. So I'm thinking that rather than drive 2.5 hours back to Niagara Falls, I might be better off getting a hotel room Sunday night :)

Dan

·
Registered
386 Posts
good luck! i just(a month ago) entered the coolest 24hr race in the solo catagory. this will be my first race since a sprint distance triathalon in 01. this race is a benefit for cancer research so theres a goal of fundraising in mind as well. what kind of training plan are you following? I just returned from two weeks in Italy so im just starting my training. my race is may fifth

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.