Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another race report, but I'll keep this one succinct.

I raced the solo category of the Rocky Hill 24 hour race. Bad short selection knocked me out for the night due to serious sores and slowed me down in the morning. Live and learn. I did 9 laps, but I'm aiming for 13 or more next year.

My bike is a Santa Cruz Superlight, pictured below.

That is, after the race. Before it looked slightly better.

It's my current race bike. 650b American Classic wheelset, Quasi Moto in rear, Neo Moto in front, Stans 26" tubeless conversion, weighs 24ish pounds without water/tube.

I really like this bike. It's very fast. I use it for races (Most of my fun riding is done on a 26" single speed hardtail. I use that bike when I'm just tooling around with friends.) and it performs wonderfully.

The wheelsize works very well in tight conditions and climbs well. It gives me great grip in the turns and feels very natural on my frame.

I did 9 laps (approximately 85 miles) on this bike and didn't have any mechanical issues.

Very fun race. Congratulations all around.

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You were on the DC Crew? With the jerseys with this logo?

I will say that the only ass I ran into that day was from one of your teams. He got really miffed that he couldn't pass me (On a technical climb), and when I tried to placate him ("Sorry man, I've got 21 more hours of this, I'll let you pass when I can.") he starts screaming at me, saying "Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was a race."

Then, when we get to a clearing (one of the fire roads), he rides my ass and knocks my back tire with his front, saying "Oh I thought this wasn't a race or anything" over and over again.

I stayed cool and kept telling him to just go ahead and pass. He finally did, but man I couldn't help but think how much cactus he must have shoved in his shorts.

One of my friends who was racing a 4 man team saw a guy, same description, later on. My friend stopped to help a guy that had completely cramped up and couldn't move off the course. A DC guy comes flying down and yells "Out of my way I'm trying to [email protected]#$ing RACE!"

But that was the only jackhole I saw at the race. Everyone else was really happy and nice!

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None. I've been riding this bike like this for about a year. The brace was actually there in case you wanted to use V-brakes, which would cause the frame to flex outward when pressure is put on the rim. Since I run disc, the brace is not needed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i will say this not being able to pass could be the difference in winning and losing the grande teams came down to a 4 sec difference between first and second our teem won but if you ended up losing by 4 seconds because someone wouldn't let you around when they clearly said to let people faster than you pass in the pre race meeting that would be pretty shitty. no excuse for the riding your tire though.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
i will say this not being able to pass could be the difference in winning and losing the grande teams came down to a 4 sec difference between first and second our teem won but if you ended up losing by 4 seconds because someone wouldn't let you around when they clearly said to let people faster than you pass in the pre race meeting that would be pretty shitty. no excuse for the riding your tire though.
Correct me of I'm wrong, but racing etiquette doesn't require anybody to dismount on a technical climb in order to let a faster rider pass.

I quit road racing years back due to the prevalence of adrenalin jacked egomaniac dicks. I've been in mtb races where the same type had conniptions on single track climbs with a line of riders in front. Like the whole group is going to stop and dismount to let one racer boi pass.

But generally IME mtb racers are a mellower group- even those who also race road. There are always exceptions. Hope this dickwad was one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well riding 650b would have made up that 4 sec. deficit.

·
Registered
157 Posts
GOD i hate the internet!!! i said it could make a difference not that it did or as an excuse and how am i the asshat i havent done any name calling FNFAL and you are the only ones name calling i was having a polite conversation was unaware that made me an asshat. Now if you want to tell me what rider it was or what bike he was riding i can talk to the rider if not this is a mute point.

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey hey hey, calm down guys.

Someone was caught up in the heat of the race and decided to be less than nice to another rider. That kind of thing happens. I understood that, which is why I didn't pursue it or goad them while at the race.

And Chris you're right, the Grande teams (which I think were still tied with the 4 man teams) are going balls to the wall, treating each lap like an XC race. Which they can do, no problem.

However, I got out of the way as soon as I could for this rider. Because I understand that. And I had to pass a few people on uphills, and I also had to suck tire for a while until they granny-geared it up.

I can't remember the bike or the face, Chris. It was a very fast incident. Don't worry about it. Like I said, races can get heated. No harm came to me, so I'm not too worried about it and I didn't let it ruin my race. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
sounds good i know i have had similar instances when i wasn't racing now that will really piss you off LOL nothing like having a hot head on your Saturday afternoon ride. best of luck to you next year FNFAL! Are you doing the dirty dozen in warda on feb 4th?

·
Beer swillin' rabble ridr
185 Posts
Do you notice any additional rear end flex by removing that swingarm brace??
I took the swing arm brace off my old y2k Heckler (same bike as the old Superlights -- except the tubing isn't butted) and it didn't seem to make any difference. Rear end is still an absolute noodle compared to the DW 5Spot. That being said the DW is setup with a thru bolt rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.