Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya I know there is a group of people who hate going around in circles but hey a good time is a good time I say. So this thread (if it lasts) is for those who are steeping up for a good time july 29th and what they are riding.
I myself if I get the time off will be going solo ss 29er for the full 24 . I rode this race two years ago 9 my third time ever on a SS) and had one of the best times ever on a bike. There was drunks in the bush scaring riders at the "party loop " , crazy fast fire roads , load music (including some kicking kittie tracks ) and my favorite....rocks.
Hopefully this year will be all that and maybe a little bit more on the party end.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I was there...

yesterday and the potential for a really fun course is there. There is also the potential for some butt-kicking brand new trail that isn't ridden in yet. I wonder if they'll use it...Anyway, I'll be on a 4-person SS team running my KM. It will be interesting this year to watch the solo class races unfold.

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
That's an understatement!

Nater said:
It will be interesting this year to watch the solo class races unfold.
Indeed...and most interesting to see if any of the big guns learned anything from last year's experience. Will they learn patience or kill each other off again?

Screw the tour, this is where the action is ;)

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Ha ha!

hairball_dh said:

Screw the tour, this is where the action is ;)
That's funny, Dave! You are oh so right, though. I expect some major fireworks in the solo class. This will, for all intents and purposes, be the "World's" too, since the scheduling debacle has essentially fractured the playing field for that event. :rolleyes:

sign me: Guitar "not afraid to get banned" Ted

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Relatively flat...

Eddie O said:
In with a pair of Konas for the solo class.

Anyone have some details to share about the course? Elevation profile?

Eddie O
It's a mix of fast, wider ski trail with lots of fun single track mixed in for good measure. Some of the singletrack is rocky and techy, while some is fast and flowing. There is one climb there (the Ho Chi Minh trail) that, if used in an uphill direction for the race, will make you work for it by the end of the race. It's one of the rocky, techy singletracks mentioned above. It's never been used in 24/9 in the uphill direction AFAIK, but it gets used in the WORS race there quite often. There was some brand new singletrack that will beat us up too if it gets used. Kevin Eccles has done a great job in the 4 years that I've been racing this race to change up the course every year just enough to make you wonder what you're going to get when the race starts.

Fastest lap time for last year's race for the 12.3 mile course was 51:06 posted by creepyfriendly on his Rig.

·
your ankles are fat
335 Posts
word up

Naomi and I will both be there(3rd time for me)...both racing solo 24....SS for me, geared for her...good times will be had, fast times would be icing on the cake.

what tour?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Eddie O said:
In with a pair of Konas for the solo class.

Anyone have some details to share about the course? Elevation profile?

Eddie O
http://www.co.marathon.wi.us/is/pks/pdf/mtbiketrailmap.pdf

Above is a pdf map of the entire park with 10 foot contour lines. The largest three "hills" in the park are 90 feet vertical over a half mile. Thats steep to us midwest flatlanders, but there isn't any hill in the park that can't be climbed in a 34-16 SS gear.
Id say to preride, inspect the rock gardens, and make good decisions regarding tire choice and air pressure. Almost one third of the elite field at the WORS race DNF'd with flats. Consider that solos will be riding 10 times that race distance, expect a lot of flat tires.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you the man

Thanks for the map it was unexpected and very cool.
As far as I'm concerned any hill of any size and pitch hurt like hell when youre going full tilt.
I myself am in a sad state so I would like to say in advance , If I beat any other ss solo riders shame on you . with the crapola ankle I have anything past 1 lap is gravy.
Dallas " oh I'll show you drunk at nationals " Sigurdur

·
Registered
635 Posts
Fun course. Wacky drunks in the middle of the night (you know they're drunk when they're hitting on a smelly girl that hasn't showered in who knows how long).

If possible, I'd definitely pre-ride. It really helped me get through the rock gardens, particularly in the middle of the night.

Unfortuantely, I have to miss it this year (but a new little mountainbiker should be born soon after!)

Vegan
(using my hubby's login)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.