Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm training for my first 24hr solo race in October. What should I plan for for my longest training ride. In my research online, I see that I should build up my base incrementally up to 1/3 to 1/2 of the race day ride. Then work on other elements of conditioning.

Is this accurate, 8-12 hours. Why not longer? Are longer rides 12- 20 hours conterproductive? Would longer rides benefit me in any way for a 24 hour event?

I'm currently up to 10 hour off road rides and am wondering If I should maintain my base and begin to consentrate on other aspects of my training.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. Been there. But saving the $99 for the cost of a training plan for bike lights and extra batteries. Lynda proposes 10 hours for the longest weekly ride if I'm reading her right. (well, I guess $99 bucks isnt much for what I'd get when I start adding up all the cost for this event, ok, I'll support Lynda supporting me)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt buy her program although I probably should. Still saving pennies for a new mnt bike, getting close.

I dont have any suggestions for you since I'm a rookie at this. I just completed a 10 hour mnt bike race at Park City, UT. I felt relatively good, but was slow. Finished back of the pack, which is what I'd expect anyways for my 243lb weight. I can say I didnt enjoy the race much and re-evaluated my goals. After a few days, time to forget, I still think I'm going forward with my next 12 hour race and then 24 hour, but I'm not sure why.

It was obvious to me that being able to survive is alot different than doing well. Now that I've some base, I'm going to start strenght and interval training.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
vierra said:
I dont have any suggestions for you since I'm a rookie at this. I just completed a 10 hour mnt bike race at Park City, UT. I felt relatively good, but was slow. Finished back of the pack, which is what I'd expect anyways for my 243lb weight. I can say I didnt enjoy the race much and re-evaluated my goals. After a few days, time to forget, I still think I'm going forward with my next 12 hour race and then 24 hour, but I'm not sure why.

It was obvious to me that being able to survive is alot different than doing well. Now that I've some base, I'm going to start strenght and interval training.
I don't know how long you've been riding, but don't be afraid to take more than a year to do these things.... If you're a rookie in your first couple of years, I'd say just focus on finishing and not if you're doing well or not. Who cares anyway? this game is all about the challenge of exceeding your personal limits! There's not really that many out there that can go out and smash up a 8, 10 or 12 hour race and come off the bike going "wow that was fun, lets do it again!" but the smile on your face having the satisfaction of completed something bigger than you ever done before should be enormous! Besides if all you've been doing is silly long miles and havn't started trying to go fast yet, then you're probably not really going to go fast yet ;)

As for base training and hours, personally I don't see much point in going over say 6 hours all that often. I don't really have any evidence to back it up, but I'm not sure you really get any benefit out of it, and you'll spend the rest of the week trying to recover instead of riding. I do normally come out of an 8 or 12 hour feeling really great a week later, but I'm wondering if that's more to do with having a full week off than anything else. Where they do have benefit is getting things like food and pacing sorted so it's beneficial to get a few in, maybe once a month? going on a 12hr or more training ride just seems silly to me and really can't see how it could be any good for you given how much one whacks me...

*shrug*

Cheers
SpoonBoy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im new to the endurance racing as well. Ive done two 12 hour races and liked them a lot. I'd say time on the bike it probably the most important thing for a newcomer. My road bike has seen most of the action lately just because gas costs too much to get to the trails. check out ride424.com. Also, I liked the movie 24 hours of adrenaline... kinda motivating. The trailer is on youtube.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Scout,
It sounds like you did the perfct 10 race. They are doing 25 min laps, that is a demoralizing course for your first long race. As mentioned above, don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds like you did well by finishing. 95% of people who do endurance type riding are looking to finish not place well, take that into consideration. The longer rides are good but they take so much more time to recover from, someone mentioned a six hr mark, above as a good number, that sounds about right. Anything longer, other than a race, will generally take away from training time due to the amount of recovery needed. Good luck and make sure you have fun and don't take yourself to seriously it'll ruin your buzz:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If you can ride 6hrs/day for 3-4 days in a row at a moderate pace, your in better shape than you give yourself credit. If it's your first race you'll have so much to learn, such as what you can eat at hour 14, 19 etc. I've done 16 of these events and I'm still learning. There's a lot more to this that being in the best shape or having the lightest bike. If you can just finish the race you'll be better than half the riders out there. I'm preparing for World 24hrs next weekend by doing nothing other than stretching, staying hydrated, getting lots of sleep etc. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all your thoughts, advice, and encouragement. Really, fuel to the fire, thanks.

I'm not taking this too seriously. Kind of like climbing big mountains, much of the fun is in the preparation, planning, and journey. Summit day is just a kick in the pants, give it all you got without killing yourself. I have enjoyed the long rides and looking foward to spending more time on my local more difficult rides and less time finding and filtering water. The whole point here is to ride more and be normal less.

Good luck next weekend bikesnmud.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Suggestion: Find a loop trail nearby that takes about an hour to ride and ride laps. Take a cooler of water and a bit of food. Fuel between laps as needed, i usually take a folding chair too. I call it "race rehearsal":thumbsup: . This helped me sort out what kinds of food my body would tolerate. 6-10 hours is usually what i aim for. Especially if i don't walk to be draggin butt at work on Monday.

I'm preparing for a 24hr race myself. The weekends I typically ride a fast paced grp rd ride 3-5 hrs one day and then laps on the mountain the other day for 6-10. Sometimes I'll ride road both days. Its great training and i ain't sponsored so it saves wear and tear on the mountain bike. Including my other rides during the week I'm getting puts my weekly training around 12-18 hrs. Every 4rth week i take it easy, lower mileage/intensity. Listen to the bod. If you start a ride and feel miserable 15-20 min. in turn around and incorporate some recovery. Just my $.02 I'm no expert.

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts
vierra said:
I just completed a 10 hour mnt bike race at Park City, UT. I felt relatively good, but was slow. Finished back of the pack, which is what I'd expect anyways for my 243lb weight. I can say I didnt enjoy the race much and re-evaluated my goals. After a few days, time to forget, I still think I'm going forward with my next 12 hour race and then 24 hour, but I'm not sure why.

Good luck to you.
Well cool we crossed paths. I raced there too but on a duo team (green SS, blue shorts pink jersey - color crisis...). That was not an easy course to solo due to the nature of the course being all up and then all down.

Surviving is the first step in learning to endurance race and that is the prime goal for the long rides rookies do. Learn which shorts treat you kindly, which pace you can keep going at, how to keep your bike running, how much you really need to eat and drink etc.

If your goal race in October is 24 hours of Moab let me tell you that all but the very, very select few merely survive that course.... Learning how to survive and finish is a lofty goal in itself.

Great job racing. I do love to see all different types of folks out on the race course - hopefully having fun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"If your goal race in October is 24 hours of Moab let me tell you that all but the very, very select few merely survive that course.... Learning how to survive and finish is a lofty goal in itself."

Ok Lynda, you got my attention. I'm scared now. But, more fuel to the fire, I'll train with this in mind. I would of said hi at the perfect 10 but you were cruising by me to fast, each time you lapped me.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A quick report.

10 Hours of Perfect 10 kicked my butt.
Linda scared me with her comments about 24 hours.

12 House of Sundance went really well for me except mechanical at the end. People were nice, atmosphere was cool.

24 hours of Moab. Lights and batteries purchased, restration fee paid.

Training plan was a bit non traditional maybe even dumb but was all I could fit in with our work schedule and children. Recover all week, go on a big hard ride one day a week. 6-10 hours, 6 - 9,000' verticle. Most days I felt like I was over doing it on the longer rides, and probably counter productive. But, I think I'm ready for 24 hours. I post this now, so I can get a big laugh or learn a big lesson in retrospect after the 24 hours of moab.

Plan is to get a couple slow laps in in the after noon, do a solid 12 hour ride through the night, and with the help of the morning sun survive until noon. I'm excited.

If this works, anyone can do a 24 hour race. Just plan on taking a day for yourself once a week to ride. Now, lets see what happens.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not that anyone should care, given all those that competed in the 24 hours of moab solo, BUT to finish this post off, I finished in good form, my first. 8 laps, middle of the pack, right about where people quit, fall asleep or they do a lot better (dont laugh, im 240, self supported, helped fix someones chain, guided a lady in with no light juice left in the middle of the night, and had to find a way to keep warm while refilling water, eating. the sight seeing was good too). I must say, I had more fun with this than the 10 hour and 12 hour races I did. I can see why people want to do more than just one.

The worst: Hydrating in the middle of the night with cold fluids, then trying to cuddle with the latern just enough so I wouldnt shake before taking off again. the run around the tree.

Highlights: dozing off in the middle of the night on the long decent back to camp only to be waken up by the sudden wobble caused by sections of sand. Watching to sun come up after a long night and feeling the psycological warmth it provided. Going across the finish line the last time, knowing the goal was accompished while flash backs of a great summer with my bike consumed my mind. Aah, now where is the snow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.