Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
My Dog eats poo
124 Posts
one_kread23 said:
Ok So next Fall I am going to compete in my first 24 Hour MTB Race. I am looking to get some advice as far as what I will need to take with me to my race.

Cheers
One
Solo I'm assuming.

List of gear will be long, especially if you want to ride the entire 24hrs.
Food, food, food and more food is a must. Variety is a key as flavour fatigue is a killer in a long race as is the correct amount of carbs, electrolytes. Only you know what works for you so I can't help there...
Clothing. A few complete changes of riding gear. All bagged in separate bags so you don't have to go looking for matching gloves, socks etc. Wet weather gear for the worst case scenario
whiteboard for keeping track of lap times/food etc.
Batteries for the lights, all marked and ready to go.
Butt cream for the inevitable chaffing.
Spare bike.

Depending on your support crew, marque, table, chairs, lights for marquee, cutlery, stove/bbq.

Prepare yourself a document for your helpers so they know what you need and expect from them. Also included some motivational statements for them to keep you focused and enthusiastic to get back out at 3am when you really want to curl up and sleep... it will help

Bike bits, I take several brake pad sets for the bike, two full sets of tyres, lube, spare chain, hangers x 2, spare seat, complete spare bike (mines a identical bike to my race bike, nothing worse than trying to adapt to a different bike after 18 hours on your race bike)
track pump, workstand, latex solution, spray cleaner for the bikes

And a stereo for the pit crew to groove away to while you put yourself through 12 different flavours of hell on earth...

There's heaps more but I'm drilled at the moment from training for my next 24... 5 weeks and counting down

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
fezi said:
Bike bits, I take several brake pad sets for the bike, two full sets of tyres, lube, spare chain, hangers x 2, spare seat, complete spare bike (mines a identical bike to my race bike, nothing worse than trying to adapt to a different bike after 18 hours on your race bike)
track pump, workstand, latex solution, spray cleaner for the bikes

And a stereo for the pit crew to groove away to while you put yourself through 12 different flavours of hell on earth...

There's heaps more but I'm drilled at the moment from training for my next 24... 5 weeks and counting down
is it usually okay at any race to switch bikes? do they care?

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
lights

Team races are a hoot. I think the list above should get you started.

I pay special attention to caloric intake and fluid intake at all times. When you come off of a lap, get your recovery drink in your system, cleam up your bike for the next lap, and then get off of your feet. Keep bringing in calories as you rest. Warm soup is the best at 3:00AM when it's freezing...

Also, as said above tracking lap times is key. Not only do you want to get your next rider at the station on time, you don't want them standing in the cold for 30 minutes tightening up waiting for the rider to come in.

You also have to really pay attention to your batteries. I always have them marked with a number, and have a basic checksheet to indicate the time on each battery, and if it's charged. Maybe you have your crap together, but one of your teamamtes is disorganized and runs out of light in the middle of a lap. That blunder can cost you an hour!

You can swap bikes between laps. I didn't when riding with a team, but solo it's a huge advantage to get maintenance done while you are out on a lap. I'd have a spare in case something happens. I also had my spare wheelset. For some reason I see lot's of broken spokes in 24 hour races...

Don't be afraid to take charge and organize details like that (unless you have an experienced member on the team).

·
My Dog eats poo
124 Posts
mx_599 said:
is it usually okay at any race to switch bikes? do they care?
I'm not 100% sure of every race rule but generally 24's have zero care of how many bikes you use. However I do believe that the bike you start a lap on is the bike you have to finish that lap on.

I generally do 3-4 laps on 1 bike then swap bikes to let the other get cleaned and checked over. More frequent if the weather is bad. That's from a solo perspective. Teams you have more time between rides so generally you can get things fixed up mickey mouse for your next lap...

Either way 24's are a hoot

·
Registered
83 Posts
Doesnt matter how many bikes you use....use a different one for each lap if you really want to lol. Just the typical, if ya break down and need a new bike mid lap it needs to be brought to you through the entire course up to your point from the start line. At least thats how it was at Canaan and Jimminy Peak a bunch of years ago.

Be very confident in your lights! Every 24 hour race we had SOMEONE with a light malfunction on a lap costing huge times.

Support team is huge!!! ideally have friends/family that can clean up your bike and get it ready for your next lap so you can focus on eating and resting. ....plus it gets everyone involved.

TONs of fun, absolutely do it! Youll hate it at 4am, but love it after its over :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.