Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm pulling together a four person team of my friends (in high school) to race in the local 24 hour event. I was reading a book written for junior bike racers (road and mountain) and it said that juniors shouldn't participate in endurance events. Any information / input on this??? We'll be racing in our junior year.

Also on a completely separate note: at home I've got a recumbent exercise bike that puts you into a weird position and when I get off it I don't feel like I get a good workout - muscles never get tired / sore unlike riding my bike at a similar cadence and intensity level.

Would a trainer be a good investment? Live in a place where it snows in the winter so riding outside isn't an option for 1/2 the year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
lampy29 said:
Hello,

I'm pulling together a four person team of my friends (in high school) to race in the local 24 hour event. I was reading a book written for junior bike racers (road and mountain) and it said that juniors shouldn't participate in endurance events. Any information / input on this??? We'll be racing in our junior year.
My understanding is that the younger you are, the harder you bonk. As a competitive Junior, you may have a little extra aggression, and a little extra short-sightedness (no offence!) to your body's warning signs. A hard bonk under such circumstances may mean a blackout whilst riding, for instance.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's odd because this 24 hour event has a juniors category...

Will racing cause damage to the body? As a 4 person team we'd each be riding about 6 hours each so it won't be as bad as a 24 hour solo event.

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
it may not be a UCI sanctioned event. a lot of endurance races still aren't. i don't think it's too much of an issue, i've done a 6 hour and i'm 17. just take it easy, eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty. and try to get some sleep overnight, it'll make a huge difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You'll be fine

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Make sure you get some quality time on the bike leading up to the event (2-3 hour rides). Alot depends on how competitive you plan on being. My daughter (age 11) was on a team of 4 last year for the 24 hours of Afton which is a brutally tough race for someone of any age. Her teamates were 13,15, and 15 and they all did extremely well finishing 4th in the mixed class.

·
No. Just No.
5,405 Posts
IM1966 said:
UCI regulations strictly forbid participation in any endurance events for juniors.
Maximum race time for 18 years and younger 1h 45 min
Oh pulleeeeese... the UCI does NOT forbid participation in endurance events for juniors, nor do they state that juniors should not race for durations over 1h45m. What the UCI does have is race standards for standard distance XCO ("Olympic") format events, that state guidelines for race durations for the various categories. It's not because they are fearful of anyone's health but to preserve the intended spirit of the XCO event and give some consistency from event to event. If you look up the maximum recommended race duration for senior elite riders it's not much longer.

C'mon people, the first ever 24 hour solo rider was a 17 year old;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Hunt

Like almost anyone, it's all dependent on your experience, training, and capabilities. Many competitive juniors would be far more comfortable and safer in endurance events than many of the adults who currently participate in them.

The reason why juniors are less likely to excel in endurance events is because it takes more time to build up to high levels of aerobic efficiency than it does to simply be "quick" over shorter distances, and many juniors haven't been racing that long. However, for juniors with the experience and background, it's all fair game.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Norba not UCI

IM1966 said:
UCI regulations strictly forbid participation in any endurance events for juniors.
Maximum race time for 18 years and younger 1h 45 min
I race Junior Expert and there is almost no Junior X race (now Cat. 1) that is less than 2 hours... Sea Otter (just under 3 hours), Downieville (2.5 hours), they are all longer. This is because we use NORBA rules not UCI. Also I have done an 8 hour race before and if properly prepared most juniors should be able to do it. The key is tons training and lots of food at the race.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another Q: How long does it take to become competitive (goal is placing highly in JOlympics). Have a good level of fitness (resting bpm is 54) and have only two seasons left before I'm too old to participate in this division. Is that long enough to become competitive at this level with hard training and focus?

Any help will be enormously appreciated.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
That's a hard one to answer. One of my younger teammates, Megan, is 17 and is fairly fast for her age. In '07 she did 5 of her team's 18 laps which was good enough for a Star's and Stripes Jersey for each of the team. Last year she had a harder time and did 4 laps and her team finished 4th. She's graduating this spring so her summer will be open for riding and races. Plus she dumped her boyfriend.

Nate, the son of a guy I race with, did well in '07 on a 4 person team and did 5 laps of his team's 18 when they finished 2nd in the Junior Men. Last year guys I race with had kids, well, young men, on three teams. Nate still did 5 laps but the competition was more of a challenge with the winning team doing 21 laps

So what am I saying? If you and your teammates are fast, you'll do well. Just remember that there is always someone faster, it's just a matter of time before you're on the trail with them.

·
No. Just No.
5,405 Posts
lampy29 said:
Another Q: How long does it take to become competitive (goal is placing highly in JOlympics). Have a good level of fitness (resting bpm is 54) and have only two seasons left before I'm too old to participate in this division. Is that long enough to become competitive at this level with hard training and focus?
"How long" it takes to become competitive can vary widely. The first step is to develop a realistic assessment of where you are at currently in terms of your racing abilities. That can only be accomplished by actually racing, and seeing how you stack up against better level regional and national junior competitors.

With more time you may be able to close the gap (assuming you are not already at the top of the heap?) but remember that all your more serious competitors are also likely training at the same time also, so that just putting the work in doesn't necessarily guarantee that you can leapfrog them. Maybe, maybe not... All depends on a combination of your natural ability, dedication, access to training/riding opportunities, and what kind of support system you have around you (parents, friends that ride, club/team, coach, etc.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
lampy29 said:
That's odd because this 24 hour event has a juniors category...

Will racing cause damage to the body? As a 4 person team we'd each be riding about 6 hours each so it won't be as bad as a 24 hour solo event.
Yes there is...I've raced one.

Its not hard to find one, but most around me are individual. They have an annual race at a place called Boyce park, there is a high school event, its an individual race, only about 2 hrs. I like this race..I'm relatively old for a senior in high school...turned 18 in September, so I did pretty well.

What course is it that that you will race with your 4 man? Must be a pretty short course, like 10.5-11 mi right?

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
It is DOABLE

but is better when you are smart about how you do it. You are hearing a lot from people who race and train, are mostly adults, and referring to one or two kids they have experienced within their community.

There are always concerns for pressing growing bodies too hard too frequently. In addition there are always concerns for teens showing up poorly prepared. The stresses of racing and endurance events are real and not to be taken lightly as fatigue management is a learned skill and doesn't respond to adrenaline, luck, and sheer guts. That is a recipe for disaster sooner or later.

Generally criteria for riding limitations are based upon repetitive stress on a growing body and poor mental preparation. Boys at the age of 13-15 or so seem to be most prone to damaging soft tissues through overuse. Further it doesn't sound to me like you race and train.

Given the aggressive and glossing sort of support one receives, the small sample of teen riding experience here on this Forum, and the tone of your writing I doubt that you will back out of this event. So....go out and train. Work your body gradually a few days a week for 1 and 2 hours working up to 3. But work up to it. And work on your food. As this is a 24 hour event I imagine that darkness will occur; a bit of practice with that would be pretty smart where your technique and batteries are concerned.

This will be an adventure and could be huge fun but you need to prepare. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If your teenager does a 12hr solo just make sure you have extra $ bugeted for groceries! My son did his first 12 hr solo when he was 14 and at hour 11 he was a little bit fuzzy so we pulled him. Last year he did 2 - 12 hr solos and had his wits about him at the end. He was constantly eating or sleeping for the next 3 days after each race. Now he's talking about doing a 24 solo!?!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
veloterra said:
If your teenager does a 12hr solo just make sure you have extra $ bugeted for groceries! My son did his first 12 hr solo when he was 14 and at hour 11 he was a little bit fuzzy so we pulled him. Last year he did 2 - 12 hr solos and had his wits about him at the end. He was constantly eating or sleeping for the next 3 days after each race. Now he's talking about doing a 24 solo!?!
I really hope I don't have a teen... would be quite the surprise. I'll be the one racing. :) No worries though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.