Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be racing on a 5 person team at 24 hours of moab. I am not familiar with the course. I have two bikes to choose from:

- Ventana El Rey, 27 pounds, 4-inch travel FS 29er and;
- Niner Air 9 (scandium), 23 pounds hardtail

Given that I am on a five person team I don't anticipate riding more than 4 - 5 hours. Any advice on which bike to bring? I can only transport 1.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd bring the full suspension. I'm sure there are guys out there that will say to bring the lightest, fastest hardtail you can get; but there are quite a few areas that will beat you up, and a full suspension is just more fun.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Faced with the same decision I am bringing my full suspension (26 pound Intense Spider vs. 21 pound Voo Doo Ti). I have never ridden the course - I am going with the full suspension because one I add my lights and water the difference is even smaller than the bikes alone.

Also - I have never been on my full sus and wished I was on a hardtail. There are definitely times I have been on a HT and wished for my full sus.

One thing to consider: check the weather. Right now looks good for suspension, but if there is rain, you may want to go HT.

·
Registered
361 Posts
http:////www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNaFKTB32VY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I've seen everything from teams riding beach cruisers to long travel all mountain bikes, rigid single speeds, you name it. To each there own. Parts of the course are very fast and relatively smooth. Other parts are not. To each their own, but personally I don't see why you'd want ht vs fs except on the hike a bikes.

The video has a fairly good overview of the course. The changing sand conditions is probably the biggest issue. If it hasn't rained for a while, it can be very dep and soft. Over the course of the race, pretty good lines get packed down. Be prepared to hit deep soft sand at high speed. Big fat soft tires are your friend. Have fun!

Oh, I think Jeff Kerkove has a good preride video on his site/blog.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Last year I raced my 29'er HT (Specialized Stumpy) at Moab. A HT is fine. There are a few rough sections that you'll wish you had a FS, but they're not too long and the rest of the course is smooth enough that a HT seems more efficient. Mostly, you should ride whichever you feel most comfortable on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.