Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any 29er/Cross rims out there like this?? Something that a 2.1 mtb tire would fit on. If there are, do you think these would be strong enough?? I'm not thinking 3ft drops or anything, just typical mtb riding.

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
The only rims I can think of are the DT Swiss RR1.1's and some of the Velocity... but your definitely in road rim area now - and the rims are not as wide as say the touring brothers (which sem to work fine on the 29ers). The more scare thing is 24 spokes... I know there is no way my 200lb rear could get away with them the way I ride... don't get me wrong - I know many fellow 29ers here have or still run the RR1.1 DT rims without trouble.

FF

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Eek!

slingshot said:
Are there any 29er/Cross rims out there like this?? Something that a 2.1 mtb tire would fit on. If there are, do you think these would be strong enough?? I'm not thinking 3ft drops or anything, just typical mtb riding.
nothing wrong with that...but the way I ride, all my wheels are 32 or 36.
Something in the 20's would make me feel uncomfortable. 190 lbs of meat n' potatoes and I still brake spokes here n' there.

I think it has to depend on how much you weigh.

If Spin came out back to the light again, I would beg for them to make a 29er wheelset (they did have a 700c) with a little more wideness on the rim, disc only.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
slingshot said:
You could run a 29x2.1 tire on a road rim.

I would not use a 24 spoke wheel on a 29er though. You could do it if you used a deep section aero rim but it would be heavier (and probably still weaker) than a wider rimed 32 spoke wheel.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sun Venus comes in 24 hole. Got them on my Road bike.

It's probably not going to save you weight, try the Cadence rim from IRD, sub 400g. I run those on my 29er with 1.9 Karmas and 2.2 ACXs w/stans. So far they are holding up without trueing under my 145 lb butt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.