Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a 24” full suspension all mountain rig for my son. I have one decent 24” tire from one of the euro sites that i bought a couple years ago (cant recall the brand but its 2.5” and labeled for back). Anything domestic i can pick up quickly? Using a 26” fork up front so no worries on clearance (the 2.5 i have fit the fork just fine). What are some options and where can i get one relatively quickly?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Thanks, I ordered one of those. I already have a Schwalbe Fat Albert 24x2.4 from bike 24 for the rear. This will be excellent on the front and in stock at Amazon with 2 day delivery.
Once you get them mounted, I would have a look if you want to keep them that way. In general Fat Albert is more aggressive than Hans dampf, so you might want to switch.
Just have a look at the tread pattern and see which one looks fast rolling and which looks to offer better cornering.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually could get away with the Fat Albert on both front and back, but thanks for teh suggestion, after fiddling around with them I think I will put the Fat Albert on the front and the slightly lower profile Hans Dampf on the rear. The HD arrived today, looks great.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just put Rocket Rons on my sons bike. I like the aggressive quality of the Hand Dampfs. What is the weight?
I see 770g listed online for the HD and cannot find my scale to confirm. https://www.schwalbetires.com/Hans_Dampf_491

My daughter's old 24" bike has an RR on the back and it is nearly 10mm narrower on a similar rim to what i have the HD mounted on. The RR looks demure next to the HD, even smaller next to the fat albert. If the bike is for true trail riding and can fit the larger tire, I'd move to the HD regardless of increased weight over the RR.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Throwing some differing opinion into this, I've got the 2.1 Rocket Rons on my son's ride. While they're a little more anemic than I would have liked size wise, they aren't under gunned rires by any means. Getting the pressure has been the trick for these. He runs them at 13/13.5 psi. They haven't held him back in ANY regard, on any trail.

The Vee Crown Gem is a similar pattern with a better looking foot print, just heavier, but also cheaper.

I'm of the opposite opinion on the Fat Albert/Hans Damf etc. I think that for the actual riding that is being done on the majority of the bikes that they're going on, they're just a penalty of weight.

It would be nice if Schwalbe/Maxxis would put out a lighter weight all around knobbed tire that had a decent carcass width. My son would certainly use them.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I see Maxxis has a 24" version of the Rekon. Would that be an intermediate choice?
It certainly might. One of those things where getting a set and seeing what they look like width wise, and also ride like in the flesh would be good. I'm wondering how lomg they've been out? Been a long winter on snow and just coming back to wrapping the old noggin around bikes again. Good to see at least a couple new things in the smaller dude/dudette department.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I see 770g listed online for the HD and cannot find my scale to confirm. https://www.schwalbetires.com/Hans_Dampf_491

My daughter's old 24" bike has an RR on the back and it is nearly 10mm narrower on a similar rim to what i have the HD mounted on. The RR looks demure next to the HD, even smaller next to the fat albert. If the bike is for true trail riding and can fit the larger tire, I'd move to the HD regardless of increased weight over the RR.
We had a Hans Dampf on my daughters bike (up front) for a full ride before pulling it off. Great tread, but it was massive and soul sucking for climbing. 800 grams as I recall. Great gravity tire, but stay away if you anticipate using it for xc types of rides. She noticed and complained about the weight just climbing up the street on pavement. It was 365 grams heavier than the Rocket Ron which it replaced. We ended up with a Vee Crown gem which is 620g. Still a bit heavier, but faster rolling and almost as wide as the Hans.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Yeah, that is not an all around tire by any means. I'm looking forward to getting my son on 26" wheels for the slightly better tire options. However, the frame outlook is about as dire as the 24" one. Seriously looking at building one.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I see Maxxis has a 24" version of the Rekon. Would that be an intermediate choice?
I'd like to see this tire myself.

When my girl rides, even the RR has pretty darn good traction. Something to do with how light they are I guess. She throws that bike in to gravel filled turns at speeds that make me nervous and just goes right thru them.
I could see the front rolling off of loose rocks pretty often so upgraded the front to a Spawn tire. She could tell no difference but I can see the front tire slip less over loose rocks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
The Rekon 24" looks like a darn good all-rounder option. Fast rolling, pretty light. I can't seem to find any for sale though. I'm happy with the stock Spawn tires. Very durable, good traction. But not ideal on the sandy hard pack around here.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
The Rekon 24" looks like a darn good all-rounder option. Fast rolling, pretty light. I can't seem to find any for sale though. I'm happy with the stock Spawn tires. Very durable, good traction. But not ideal on the sandy hard pack around here.
What happens on the sandy hardpack with those tires? We don't have much of that. Maxtions have served us really well on everything else it seems but the Rekon is interesting. They weight is on par. Do you think the smaller knobs on the Rekon will work better? I wish it was a 2.3 vs 2.2

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.