Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I'm running a 24/38 setup on my ventana and I'm curious if anyone has attempted to run a 22/38 setup? Currently I am running a med cage rear der. and I thought a long cage might be enough to take up the extra chain for the 22t?

Thanks in advance

Todd

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
I've done this and it will work, though it's not perfect. It might take a few more revolutions of the cranks for the 38t to pick up the chain from the 22, other than that no issues.

·
Registered
237 Posts
ToddM said:
Currently I'm running a 24/38 setup on my ventana and I'm curious if anyone has attempted to run a 22/38 setup? Currently I am running a med cage rear der. and I thought a long cage might be enough to take up the extra chain for the 22t?

Thanks in advance

Todd
here is a link to a Blog post from Wicked Racin about gear setups, there is also one about proper chain lenght LINK

·
'All over it!'
1,106 Posts
I have just gone for a 36T/22T set up on my new ride. I was a little sceptical but it works brilliantly with my XTR front mech. I am running a mid cage XTR rear and an SRAM 990 chain with six links removed from new.
I have no problems with the chain picking up from the 22. I can only imagine if set up correctly, the 38T would be no bother.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts