Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have just finished my 05 Heckler rebuild for xc and im about to start on an 05 Bullit for heavy freeride and UK dh. I am looking at putting 180mm or 203mm Manitou travis fork and a Swinger 6 coil shock on the rear (the 5th element is shot). The 5th Element is the 8.5 x 2.5 inch version. I have heard about guys running 8.5 x 2.75 rear shocks without any issues and im wondering if a 8.75 x 2.75 would also work (my local bike shop has the Swinger 6 on a really good close out deal in that size only!). Is it possible to use the frame without the shock shuttle (ie get some shock hardware to make the shock fit directly into the space where the shuttle was to compensate for the extra length?

Please excuse my ignornace but i dont even have the frame yet to look at and i have no way of measuring rear wheel travel and the shock space etc!

Any help would be great - i like the idea of a longer stroke anyway to get that bit more travel.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
It will fit.

The advantage of this setup is more travel. The disadvantage is a higher BB. I believe I've seen a few mention on this forum that they bolted the shock to the frame shuttle eyelets to get a lower BB, but there may have been mention of potential saddle/seatpost contact under full compression. I have an '03 Bullit...same as '05...and I had a Monster T fork and this size DHX coil shock. It worked fairly well, but mine was bolted to the shuttle in the most forward position. The BB was pretty high. Oddly however, it didn't really tend to give me an OTB condition like I expected. It seemed to match well with the 7" Monster. A shorter front fork would have been fairly negative IMO. From this pic, you can see that bike sits up like a Honda motocrosser.:D It would, however, run over just about anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TNC, thanks a lot for that. I like a higher bb and teamed with the Travis its should be super plus for not too many $$. I think the 7.7 inches will work really well as a dh / freeride alternatve to my light build Heckler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put a 8.75 x 2.75 on my bullit. I've got an 01' 6" travel swingarm and an 03' 7" frame. It gives me 8.25" of travel. I reused the shock mounts and didn't have to mod the frame. It works awesome. You just have to make sure you have a long enough chain because I ripped the derailleur hanger out once and had to get a new swingarm. The BB is pretty high but you never have to worry about smashing the chainrings on anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the rear deraileur post removed on mine because the tire was hiting it.After i get the custon shock post welded on it will have adjustable travel like the morewood does.I plan on running a 9.0X 3.0 dhx5 on mine and still have the correct headtube angle for DH.I'll let you know how it works out in a few weeks.

·
Bullit Rider
328 Posts
I just picked up a 5th Element from Santa Cruz online, in 8.75X2.75, for my vintage 2000 or so Bullit. I first tried bolting it to the shuttle in the forward most position, but as I ride up hill as well as down, my seat is high, and with that shock on the frame my feet did not touch the ground at all while sitting on the bike.

This morning I drilled out the rear shuttle holes and mounted the front of the shock there. It is the same height as when I had the fox shock on the frame, with the shuttle pushed all the way back, so I'm comfortable with the height at the moment (although today's ride may change that). I noticed on Santa Cruz's website they have the later Bullit shuttles for sale; I might pick up one of those to tune the ride height a little.

I never had a over the bar feeling while putting around yesterday evening, but it sure put a lot more of my weight over the front of the bike. I'll get some pic's up later today or tomorrow :)

Clay

EDIT: it's not the best picture, but here's the bike with the shock mounted direct to frame. It's really storming here this afternoon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts