Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to get one of these bikes and would prefer an AF Ripley for durability...I cracked my last carbon frame and dented my last aluminum frame in a crash. Biggest concern is if the AF Deore will feel heavy and sluggish compared to the carbon SLX. The Deore AF is a whole lot of bang for the buck but wish it was closer to 30 lbs. I could always shed some weight by upgrading the drivetrain if desired.

Am curious for those who are familiar with both bikes and your impressions.

Do the AF and carbon versions ride similar or is the weight and difference in geo pretty noticeable?

·
Registered
295 Posts
There are lots of videos on the web with comparisons, I would just do some searches. Ride lost just did one that dropped yesterday on Instagram.

I can only speak for the af as I have one. I ride an XL that is right at 31lbs and it’s awesome. I have obviously upgraded it but I’m still under he price of the carbon model with a much better build. I would have had to upgrade the carbon model if I purchased that model so I think I chose wisely buying the af. I think I could drop another pound, which down the road will probably happen as things wear out. I am very happy with the bike, good luck with your decision.

·
Turns right, slides left
848 Posts
I'm planning to get one of these bikes and would prefer an AF Ripley for durability...I cracked my last carbon frame and dented my last aluminum frame in a crash. Biggest concern is if the AF Deore will feel heavy and sluggish compared to the carbon SLX. The Deore AF is a whole lot of bang for the buck but wish it was closer to 30 lbs. I could always shed some weight by upgrading the drivetrain if desired.

Am curious for those who are familiar with both bikes and your impressions.

Do the AF and carbon versions ride similar or is the weight and difference in geo pretty noticeable?
Geometry wise they very much ride/handle like different bikes. The weight differences are not going to be a deal breaker for anyone other than someone who is racing XC or has some strong conformation bias.

My XL AF is now under 30lbs...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts