Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roots are XC racing... heck I even run an XC racing series. I recently built up a Mojo SL (140mm/5.5" rear travel) for an "all mountain" bike... but after I installed a 130mm Terralogic fork on the bike it has become a great XC racer (not that I race that much any more)...

Pretty much no pedal induced bob, 5+" of travel, handles very quick, climbs almost as good as my hard tail (better in bumpy climbs) with the ability to "point and shoot" on the down hills... oh yeah, with the XTR build and race wheels I'm sub 23lbs.

Simply awesome. A plug for Ibis? Hey, why not, I like what WORKS!

For those running light hard tail bikes or minimal travel FS bikes and think you can't get a smooth ride, take a second look!

CJS

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xllent01 said:
The key word here is... "Pretty much no pedal induced bob" with 140mm/5"5 of rear travel, guess the rest can be debated??:confused:
Not sure what you mean... but to clarify zero bob in the front and almost no bob in the rear... about 1/8" movement in the shock...

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The only thing about that bike is that it doesn't have a water bottle holder. That is a pretty major flaw in my books and would stop me from ever buying one until that is remedied. Other than that, sweet ride. Better believe they are that light!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Benno said:
How is the frames stiffness BTW?
I find it very good... but I've also got the new upgraded rocker link the "Lopes Link" and I weigh 150 lbs. The was supposedly an issue with the rear stiffness before the new link but I have nothing to compare too... mine came with it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Benno said:
The only thing about that bike is that it doesn't have a water bottle holder. That is a pretty major flaw in my books and would stop me from ever buying one until that is remedied. Other than that, sweet ride. Better believe they are that light!
Actually they do have one... on the bottom side of the down tube so it gets all the mud and horsey poo all over it:eek: - I personally wear a camelbak.

I suppose I could run a seat post cage if needed...

But I hear ya, would be nice to have one, but in this case it's worth it!:D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
CactusJackSlade said:
Actually they do have one... on the bottom side of the down tube so it gets all the mud and horsey poo all over it:eek: - I personally wear a camelbak.

I suppose I could run a seat post cage if needed...

But I hear ya, would be nice to have one, but in this case it's worth it!:D
Like I said, doesn't have a watter bottle holder ;) I don't do camelbaks. I suppose you could pimp a Trance X to weighing that, I don't think the frames are that far off for weight.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm not surprised a 5 inch travel bike can get down that low in weight these days. My Trek Fuel EX, with 120mm travel front and back, weighs about 23.5 lbs. I put a new back tire on it and that added some weight, so now it is slightly heavier than that (but still under 24 lbs.).

I could probably get mine very close to 23 lbs. I've got light wheels, but could get them lighter if I went with Stan's ZTR Race as opposed to the 355s. I could also lose the granny ring, go with lighter pedals, and a lighter stem. There isn't much weight savings left to be had, but .5 lbs. is probably possible.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
serious said:
BTW, my comment was not that I do not believe the sub-23 lbs claim. I actually was curious about the build, especially the wheels.
Wheels are the Stans ZTR 7000 race wheels (they use the American Classic hubs), tubeless Small Block 8's, 160mm rotors, the rear rotor being Stan's coated aluminum (not a good choice for the front since you lose about 25% of your braking) and XTR cassette.

Like I mentioned... this is where my significant weight savings is and since I'm a sub 150# rider I can get away with it for almost every day use...:D

for winter/wet conditions I run a 180 front rotor and slightly heavier Stans wheel build.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.