Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm 6'5" but you have me by a couple of inches in the inseam... you are a leggy murf! I think a 24 would be huge for you in a 29er. Maybe in a 26" it would work, but the top tube will probably be too high since they are 1.5 inches further off the ground than their traditional counterparts and too long (unless your arms are really long as well.) Do you have the geometries on the bikes? I've never seen anything bigger than a 21" in a 29er... some manufacturers stop at a 20 (haro). What bike are you looking at?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's a local brand and I don't have the exact geometry figures.
I don't think that the top tube will be too long for me (equally long hands I like to say tha1000 :p). I'm mostly worried for the handlebar being too high on the 24"

Pete what is the "standover heights"?

Most 6,5 people in this forum ride 21"-22" bikes though I don't know if this is the biggest they could find or the best for them.

tha1000 would you say your 21 is ok or it could have been a litlle bigger?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 6'5" w/36" inseam and have a Trek 4500 24" and I feel totally top heavy on the trail. The road is fine but once you get off it, it seems that the bike is a bit big to handle. I bought a 22" Kona Hoss just recently and I feel great on it. At 295lbs. I wanted to play it safe. I think the only thing that really matters though is how you feel on it. Take one for a ride and see what it's like.

·
Registered
501 Posts
p_cycle said:
it's a local brand and I don't have the exact geometry figures.
I don't think that the top tube will be too long for me (equally long hands I like to say tha1000 :p). I'm mostly worried for the handlebar being too high on the 24"

Pete what is the "standover heights"?

Most 6,5 people in this forum ride 21"-22" bikes though I don't know if this is the biggest they could find or the best for them.

tha1000 would you say your 21 is ok or it could have been a litlle bigger?
Standover height is the distance between your wedding tackle and the painful steel tube that connects the seatpost to the handlebars....;)

I ride a Fisher which has a loooong top tube compared to most other manufacturers... I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable on a 21" by some manufacturers with a shorter top tube. I want to ride the smallest bike I feel comfortable on.

If it is a local shop, you should be able to sample the goods. I think a 24" frame, especially on a 29er, is going to be waaaayyy big. See if they can fit you and what size they recommend.

·
tallmtnbiker
32 Posts
Don't Go Too Big

I'm 6'5" with a 36 inseam. A 22" fits me perfectly (Ventana El Patron 29er). Just make sure you have enough seat post still in the frame. Too big might mean too clumsy in the turns and drops. Better to be agile with a lot of seat post and stem then too big on the frame, IMHO. Check out pics of Ryan Trebon and Barry Wicks (at velonews.com), two guys that scrape the door frame at 6'6". They have a ton of seat post on their Konas, both 26" XC rigs and cross bikes.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.