Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
bike tester
1,281 Posts
yes i ran this last season with a sram pg950 road cassette 11-26. i used a shimano xt 36 ring from a trekking crank and i bent it quite a bit. but that was prolly because i was too lazy to make the chainline perfect and i ran a lot of big-big combos to avoid risky front shifting.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I haven't tried it on a 29" bike but I have a Shimano SLX double (22/36T) on a long travel 26" bike. I ride it mostly on the 36T and like the range with an 11/34T cassette. What I don't like, on those occasions that I have to use the 22T for long climbs, is the big gearing gap between the two chain rings. It is equivalent to four gear shifts. Invariably dropping onto the 22T requires gearing up on the cassette as well, due to over spinning.

Using a gear ratio calculator, I have calculated that a 32T ring has the same ratio on a 29" bike as a 36T on a 26", which I prefer. Also the gearing between the 22T and the 32T is only two gears.I don't feel that I need the high gears provided by the 36T on a 29" bike.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I run 24-36 and have thought 22 would be better w/out as much overlap and gives me more climbing power.

Any idea if the 22 would be much different than the 24?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
For racing in New England
I run a 26 ...but sometimes run a 24 if it's really hilly.
I started with a 38...but switched to a 36 so I could keep it in the big ring more ( I do switch to the 38 for faster courses once in a while)
Running a 11-34 out back....and running the 2 front rings in the granny and middle ring positions.
Get yourself some chainrings and experiment on what works for you.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I have been running 22-36 on my 29er for a month or so. I have XT 760 cranks and found an XT 36t middle ring to replace the stock 32t. I am using a Race Face lightweight bash ring to replace the big chainring and have the Deore 12-36 cassette out back.

Great combo for my riding. I can comfortably sprint at around 21-23mph for quite a ways on level ground. I haven't crunched the numbers, but the seat of the pants suggests that I'm only missing out on having maybe the last two cogs if I had a big chainring and I'd rather have the ground/rock clearance. The only gears I find myself generally not using are 1-8 and 1-9 (not because I have trouble with them, but just because if I am in that range, I'll usually knock it up to the larger chainring.

I have also found it easier to dial in the front shifting when I only have to deal with two chainrings rather than three.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I ran a 24 -36 on the front for a week-long dirt tour, with an 11-34 rear cassette. It worked great. The only time I ran out of gears was on a steeper paved downhill linking trails near the end of the ride. And I would have run out of gears with 3 rings - we hit over 50 mph going down that beast! On a 29'er, the combo works out to a roughly 94-inch gear. 100 rpm pedal cadence will take you to about 28 mph in the 36 x 11, for a point of reference. Plenty fast unless you are racing.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I run a 24/38 double combo with 34-15 cassette on my FS and it works fine for me. I will say that on tech trails I mainly have to use the 24 right now due to my back still recovering. before my back started giving me crap I could ride a mix of 24 and 38 on my fav tech trail. This combo also worked fine in CO when I visited in '08, even though at first I thought I might die with the 24, but once I got accustomed to the altitude a bit I was fine.

·
Registered
931 Posts
jeffj said:
I have been running 22-36 on my 29er for a month or so. I have XT 760 cranks and found an XT 36t middle ring to replace the stock 32t. I am using a Race Face lightweight bash ring to replace the big chainring and have the Deore 12-36 cassette out back.

Great combo for my riding. I can comfortably sprint at around 21-23mph for quite a ways on level ground. I haven't crunched the numbers, but the seat of the pants suggests that I'm only missing out on having maybe the last two cogs if I had a big chainring and I'd rather have the ground/rock clearance. The only gears I find myself generally not using are 1-8 and 1-9 (not because I have trouble with them, but just because if I am in that range, I'll usually knock it up to the larger chainring.

I have also found it easier to dial in the front shifting when I only have to deal with two chainrings rather than three.
So there is still a bit of overlap on the 22-36? If so, I'm definitely going that way. I race the Hills of Hell in the spring and need all the climbing I can get.
Thanks.

·
Hassan's Ghost
288 Posts
I've ridden the stock slx double (22-36) with an 11-34 cassette for the past season. Depending on what you ride like and what you ride it will work great. That said, I've come to the conclusion that it just doesn't work for me on the bike it's on.

Currently, this combo is on a rigid hardtail. I ride twisty, steep, and often very technically demanding New England single-track. I pretty much live in the 36. The one exception is very hard, maneuvery step, steep type climbs. Here I use the 22 and like 3 or 4. Just a hair smaller ratio than the 36-34. It took me ages to figure this combo out (coming off like seven years on a Single Speed).

I think I figured out that if I had a 32 up front I wouldn't ever need a smaller ring. As such, I will be putting a 32 on that bike for next year and ditching the granny. If this was on a fs, I'd probably swear by it (actually, it will probably end up my partner's bike).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
oscarb said:
Hi there
Has somebody tried or is actually using the 22-36 ring combo on a 29er? Thoughts?
You can see a comparison chart in this link:
http://www.frmbike.biz/index.php?pa...ategory_id=67&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26
There is no magic to gearing. Just look at the gear charts and figure out what the differences are and how they relate to your riding and other bikes. Most of my bikes are setup with similar, but not exactly the same final gearing.

26" hardtail: 36/24 x 11-32 or 11-28
26" fully (FR): 36/24 x 11-32
29" rigid: 34/24 x 12-32
29" hardtail: 42/30 x 11-34
29" fully (trail) 32/22 x 11-32
26" trail/trials 25 x 11-32

They all work.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
BoomingSooner said:
So there is still a bit of overlap on the 22-36? If so, I'm definitely going that way. I race the Hills of Hell in the spring and need all the climbing I can get.
Thanks.
Definitely some overlap. I'd say 1-5 or 1-6 is around the same as 2-1. I haven't measured it or put a pen to paper, that's just my seat of the pants guess-timate.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I'm running 22,32,38 on my Rip9 at the monent & find it great,I have also used 22,32,36 & that was good to.

No need for a bash ring were I ride the tracks are 2 clean.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
j69nx said:
I have a shimano xtr m970, where can i get the rings 36/24 and 42/30?
Shiggy i believe in you.
Shimano makes a 36t for the 771 crank...works great.
Universalcycles.com has a good selection if your local shop can't/ won't help you.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
22-36 is kinda sucky IMO. The jump between the 2 rings is just too much. I had a set of XT M761 in a 24-36 and that didn't bother me, but the extra 2t in the jump makes it a bit of a pain in the but. Shifting works fine, but on the downshift/upshift you have to run 2-3 gears in the back as well. On a std 22-32 front setup I usually only have to jump one gear in the back, if at all.

The 36t is also a fairly tall gear on a 29er. In the rocky trails I ride I found it difficult to find sections long and steap enough to justify the tall gear. In CA I liked the bigger mid ring though. So it really is dependent on rider strength and your local terrain ;)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
j69nx said:
I have a shimano xtr m970, where can i get the rings 36/24 and 42/30?
Shiggy i believe in you.
All of my cranks are 5-arm, 110/74 or 94/58 BCD. The latter can use a 30t in the "middle" position.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts