Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
imapodaddy said:
Hey Guys,

Can you all recommend a 21 Spd Rear Derailleur for my Gary Fisher Tarpon?
I'm noticing that its a bit tougher to shift lately and would love to find a reason to upgrade.

Thanks,

RL
Maybe it's just a mainenence thing. Check with your LBS.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
That's probably a 7 speed you've got there, but

any of 'em will work (and will work on 8 and 9 speed too); BTW when you refer to 21 speeds it's for the combination of front and rear...you'll probably need a Shimano if I remember correctly (a friend's Marlin at least is Shimano), I'm guessing sub-Deore or Deore gruppo. Your shifters need to match up with the derailleur in terms of how they pull the cable; SRAM uses a different actuation ratio. I doubt you'd notice the difference in performance if you went with a "better" derailleur than what model you've currently got, and it will definitely cost you more (a Deore will probably set you back 35-45 at most shops, LX a bit more than that, XT a bit more than that, XTR a lot more than that). If you want to "upgrade", save up yer money and go for a better bike...

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
misnomer

imapodaddy said:
Hey Guys,

I'm noticing that its a bit tougher to shift lately and would love to find a reason to upgrade.

Thanks,

RL
I believe you mean a 7 speed rear derailleur which will match up with a 3 speed front crankset am I right? there isn't anythign known as a 27 spd derailleur. You have 9 spd mtb derailleurs and up to 10 spd road derailleurs like the Dura-ace and Campy Record...SO, anything like a Sram X-9 or Shimano M-952 will do nicely. A derailleur 'built for a 9 spd rear cogset' only means it is good enough to be used with a bike that has UP TO 9 rear speeds. thats the quality level of the item. You can always a better derailleur for a 'smaller' set of rear gears but never a 'cheaper' derailleur for more gears than its meant for. For example, if you have an older derailleur that was used on a 7 spd system, I bet you you'll have trouble if you try to use it with a 9 spd system, because its quality level's threshold is 7 speeds. Hope this helps.

edit: try getting newer cables since your current cables might have a little rust or gunk in them which may be causing trouble. Your chain may be worn, same goes for the cogset, but I'd look at the cables first before I took the plunge for a new derailleur. However, if you are wanting to upgrade simply for the sake of doing so, then go ahead, upgrading is always fun!

·
Registered
184 Posts
imapodaddy said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks,

RL
9 speed LX. Cheap, strong, sprung in the right direction, shifts great. I'm using one on my 7 speed touring / commuting bike. It indexes beautifully with a Sachs ARIS 7 speed freewheel and Shimano 8 speed bar-end shifters, except it's got one extra click.

The derailluer doesn't know how many speeds it's shifting, that's the shifter's job. Except for 6, 7, and 8 speed Dura-Ace, all Shimano index-compatible rear derailluers will index with any Shimano shifter. Fronts are different (road vs mountain), but the rears just work.

--Shannon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.