Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have some advice on how to eliminate an annoying creak? 100% isolated to be the post to frame area.

I tried a minimal amount of fiber grip, then tried a whole bunch. Still creaked. Torqued the clamp to 5Nm each time and the creak disappears but comes right back a couple miles into the next ride. If I torque well over 5Nm, the creak is minimized but still there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Useful and useless info:
  • Finish Line Fiber Grip
  • Thompson Elite RIGID anodized post- 410mm uncut
  • OEM Ibis seatpost clamp
  • a buddy has a SC Hightower and the same post. Has very similar issues with creaking. Would be willing to try another post if nothing else works.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

· Registered
66 Posts
Anybody have some advice on how to eliminate an annoying creak? 100% isolated to be the post to frame area.

I tried a minimal amount of fiber grip, then tried a whole bunch. Still creaked. Torqued the clamp to 5Nm each time and the creak disappears but comes right back a couple miles into the next ride. If I torque well over 5Nm, the creak is minimized but still there.

Useful and useless info:
  • Finish Line Fiber Grip
  • a buddy has a SC Hightower and the same post. Has very similar issues with creaking. Would be willing to try another post if nothing else works.

Thanks!

This might sound a bit extreme, but....https://aarondeutsch.com/2019/08/the-heavy-handed-way-to-stop-your-seat-post-from-creaking/. I tried it, and it worked, but it's a bit messy when you remove the post again. FWIW, my creaking went away, and I just use grease now (aluminum frame). Might be worth a shot. Just make sure to use a THIN coating and let it cure before inserting the post.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This might sound a bit extreme, but....https://aarondeutsch.com/2019/08/the-heavy-handed-way-to-stop-your-seat-post-from-creaking/. I tried it, and it worked, but it's a bit messy when you remove the post again. FWIW, my creaking went away, and I just use grease now (aluminum frame). Might be worth a shot. Just make sure to use a THIN coating and let it cure before inserting the post.
Interesting read. I'd be willing to give it a shot if nothing else works. Not sure how to remove the rubber seal stuff w/o compromising the anodizing. But if it is silent, the post will never need to come off again.

· Registered
66 Posts
Interesting read. I'd be willing to give it a shot if nothing else works. Not sure how to remove the rubber seal stuff w/o compromising the anodizing. But if it is silent, the post will never need to come off again.

The rubber seal stuff will eventually wear off on it's own. It sort of peels off like sunburned skin, lol. It didn't harm the anodizing on my post. Like I said, after using this stuff for a while, the creaking just went away and I no longer have to use anything except grease now. I don't know why the creaking went away, but it did.

· Registered
Stock 2021 Giant Trance 29 3: Deore, Bomber Z2
259 Posts
I had exactly the same problem on my Trance. I cleaned and greased. The creak went away for a bit but then annoyingly returned.
After another 50 miles or so, it stopped again. I think if you do what you can to silence it, the bad fitting parts may “break in” or rub away after a time.

· Registered
2,698 Posts
How much seatpost is actually inserted into the frame?

I can’t imagine much since the Ripley V4’s seat tube is so short. If you’re at or near bare minimum insertion, you might be getting a lot of flex still since you could have essentially a huge lever working against not that much carbon.

· Registered
118 Posts

Useful and useless info:
  • Finish Line Fiber Grip

Thanks!

On prior frames I've had noise caused by extra long seatposts. There is almost always a small amount of frame flex because of the lever-arm of your weight on that long post.
While the seat flexes backwards, the bottom of the long post flexes forward. Depending on the shape of the inside of the seat tube the bottom of the seatpost can contact it. I have a few seat posts that show wear on the bottom forward portion of the post because of this. The noise comes from that contact, not from the collar.

Put a dollop of heavy grease on that part of the post and/or down in the frame where the contact might occur. Use carbon fiber paste at the collar. You shouldn't have to over tighten.
That's solved the issue in the past for me, though not a problem on my Ripley V4.

· Registered
187 Posts
What the above poster said could be the issue-longer seat post rub farther down the frame. To see if this is the issue, try raising the seat post a bit and see if the creak goes away or lessens.

Also I would try removing the seat post and frame clamp and giving them a good cleaning. Even clean all the way down in the frame with a tooth brush and some rubbing alcohol. Reassemble without grease and see how the noise is.

It sounds like you have it narrowed down to the frame/post/clamp area but just in case you are unsure, you can try riding the bike without the seat, or without the seat post in the frame at all and see if the noise stays or goes away. This is how I narrowed down my bottom bracket creak in my Ripmo.

· Registered
238 Posts
Similar thing going on with my XL Ripley V4. And it does seem to mostly be towards the very base of the dropper post within the seat tube. I've pulled it several times and lubed it there and it goes away for 2-3 rides and then returns. I can "fix" it mid-ride by loosening the seatpost clamp, turning the post back and forth and pulling up and down an inch or two a few times, which probably moves some grease around down there. I may need to remove the post and look at perhaps rounding down the very bottom of the seatpost a little with a file or some sandpaper.

Occasionally it's also been the seat rails, but not nearly as often. One thing I've noticed on almost all of the droppers I've owned is that the seat tends to work it's way back in the rails no matter how hard I tighten the seatpost clamp screws. Just one of those things I now check every 5-6 rides or so. If the seat ends up way far back on the rails, then it's almost certain to creak since the "lever arm" is greater, putting more strain on the seat rails.

· Registered
1,477 Posts
Frustrating. Have not had that issue, but recall reading either from Bike Yoke dropper or Ibis that grease is recommended over fiber grip for what that is worth. I have had creaking with seat rails where they mount into the saddle on a new brand new WTB Silverado.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks to all for the advice. Want to provide an update and answer a few of the questions above. My post is 410mm long (uncut) with about 6in of embedment into the frame.
I got through one ride in silence using fiber paste and increased torque but the creak faintly started coming back during the next ride.
I just tried the rubber spray suggestion and will try it out on my next ride. If that doesn't work, I'll try grease instead of fiber paste then no lube at all.
If the creak is still there after all that, I'll just try a carbon post next.
I'll update this thread when I have something useful to report. Thanks!

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to provide an update and close out this thread. The rubber coating worked for a couple rides then turned into a creaky disaster.

I wound up trying straight grease (no fiber grip) and it has been silent for 3 rides ... >50mi.

I was afraid of the seatpost sinking but it has been staying put. Hope this helps out anybody else dealing with a creak with an aluminum seatpost into a carbon frame.

· Registered
1 Posts
I recently had the same issue with a PNW dropper. The dropper would slip in the seat tube no matter how much carbon paste I would put on the dropper, allowing the collar of the dropper to make contact with the seat post clamp. After 6 months, a creak started and it was due to the collar on the dropper and seat clamp rubbing against one another.

The fix for the dropper slipping has been inserting a shim in the seat tube (piece of coke can) to take up some space. I tried the rubber in the can fix and I couldn't get the dropper in the seat tube. I have had one ride on the bike and this setup appears to have fixed the slipping and creaking issue.

Just in case the dropper slips, I added rubber orings from HomeDepot on the body of the dropper to keep the collar and the seat clamp from rubbing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.